Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

No_Historian718 t1_je5szd0 wrote

They’re a bit pricey, but a Marmot or a North Face puffer will keep you warm and dry for years

RailRoad_Candy t1_je5tf8i wrote

The Columbia Heat Interchange reflective heavy coats are no joke. Tested that shit out in the arctic circle, 50 mph winds, blizzards almost non-stop. The jacket does the job.

Necessary-Parking-23 OP t1_je5vkst wrote

I just bought one! They had a light pink one in the sale section for $65 :))) thank you !!!!!

Shelby-Stylo t1_je5vjpl wrote

I really like them because you can take the liner out and wear them over a sweater or something for those 37 degree rainy windy days.

CaptainWollaston t1_je5s5aj wrote

Red. Everyone up here wears Redcoats.

RealKenny t1_je5uqcu wrote

I have an LL Bean "Maine Warden Parka" which keeps me very warm. It was also MUCH cheaper than the more "fashionable" brands

ef4 t1_je5utbr wrote

Other than the coat, you really want to own: good boots, warm hats, mittens, and (for really cold days) long underwear -- look for "base layer" from Duofold or Thermajohn.

Necessary-Parking-23 OP t1_je5vwmf wrote

Thank you! My parents lived in Alaska so my mom and I were looking at silk long underwear. Do you have any gloves recommendations?

cmcrich t1_je6u7c2 wrote

Check out Eddie Bauer, the quality of LL Bean/ Columbia, but they have frequent sales. I have a down parka from there, 50% off, and it’s the warmest jacket I ever owned.

michael_scarn_21 t1_je9ihi2 wrote

Yeah I picked up a parka from the sale in fall and it's better than any LL bean coat I've worn.

George_GeorgeGlass t1_je5vf3p wrote

If you can swing it, Canada Goose. I’ve live in NE my entire life and my life changed two years ago thanks to that coat 😂

BreathingPermafrost t1_je5wpq4 wrote

I had never heard of this brand outside Boston, but see it everywhere in the city. Looked their raincoats and was shocked at how expensive it all is.

Rpmbox t1_je62a4d wrote

Super popular in Chicago been there 5 or 6 times in last 5 years

ZippityZooZaZingZo t1_je5z5da wrote

AKA Canada Douche. Perhaps you’re not aware that they trap and skin coyotes for their fur to line the hoods of their jackets. There are plenty of other high end high quality jackets at the same or lower price point that should be considered over this company.

−3

twowrist t1_je6klxg wrote

I thought they’ve stopped using fur.

George_GeorgeGlass t1_je86oik wrote

Yeah they did and virtue signaling is obnoxious. At least know what you’re talking about before you pontificate

twowrist t1_je8lih4 wrote

Who was pontificating about this?

George_GeorgeGlass t1_jed24pl wrote

I feel pretty confident that you know I was referring to the commenter. The zippity whoever. It feels intentionally obtuse to play a game wherein you don’t know who I was referring to. I know you know it wasn’t you. The cat and mouse thing is a waste of time for some of us. Some of us see the value in straight forward and not spending our lives beating around the bush.

My apologies if you weren’t being obtuse and beating around the bush. But if you weren’t? Work on your deduction skills. This part of the conversation was unnecessary. It was obvious. Don’t bother to argue back. I’m adverse to purposeless conversation and endless meaningless minutiae. The need to be right it prove your point is lost on me unless it’s actually useful or meaningful. This is not

twowrist t1_jed4ptt wrote

Well, you addressed it to me and not the commenter. Sorry if interpreted your post in a more straightforward manner than you intended.

ZippityZooZaZingZo t1_je6lbce wrote

Lets hope. The fact that they were ever doing it is a disgrace.

−2

George_GeorgeGlass t1_je86x67 wrote

I’d wear it either way. You don’t have to approve. But they don’t even use it anymore 😂

George_GeorgeGlass t1_je86tmj wrote

Perhaps you’re not aware that they don’t anymore. But go on with your bad self

Love the coat. Don’t care if you approve. I won’t consider others because you say so. I’m happy with it. I’m ok with it. Sorry. Find another cause that isn’t me. I don’t need you to fight for what is right for me.

confused_noodles t1_je5tax4 wrote

my columbia omniheat interchange jacket kept me warm for all my years in michigan for college and still holds up here now

Rpmbox t1_je624qe wrote

Budget not an issue?

Moncler, Canada goose, north face

On a budget?

Try sporting good stores like Sierra (I usually go to the one right across the border in salem so no sales tax)

Pinwurm t1_je5x9po wrote

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, Superdry makes a decent quality parka. Get one with a faux fur hood and you'll be set.

Otherwise, LL Bean is probably the best quality for your dollar. The coat will last a lifetime.

You will also want a wool peacoat, which you can get anywhere. For when it's too warm for a parka and too cold for much else. Great for late fall as well. And perfect for formal functions, since it's still stylish. You will wear it more often than your standard winter jacket.

downwardspiralstairs t1_je5xjcc wrote

A nice patchwork madras jacket for the spring will make you look spiffy at Easter mass.

russianteadrinker t1_je644l5 wrote

i wear a basic wool coat from a thrift store... i dont find that it gets cold enough here for any of those super warm super expensive coats. also has the added benefit of being able to wear the same coat from september through to april.

itd be different if you have to spend an extensive amount of time outside though, i spend my winters mostly indoors.

Individual_Brick5537 t1_je9ag4t wrote

I’m a cheap person, and you don’t need a great coat. I’m wearing a somewhat worn 15 year old coat at this point that’s lost a bit of it’s insulation. No single item will keep you warm. You need layers.

Get a wool base layer like for skiing. A good hat, scarf, gloves. You can get a thinner pair of gloves for under your winter gloves if you get cold. A balaclava or skiing face mask. And, a decent coat. If it gets real cold you can get some ski pants to wear over your base layer and regular pants.

That being said, you’ll also want to keep agility in mind for the climate wars.

jtet93 t1_je5vlqb wrote

Personally I prefer real down filling. Get something waterproof too.

[deleted] t1_je6b2mv wrote

Down doesnt handle moisture at all so probably not a good recommendation for somebody who's never heard of clothes before

jtet93 t1_je6b5le wrote

I have a down, waterproof parka and I love it. The down never gets wet

[deleted] t1_je6aovr wrote

Go to a thrift shop and buy something that fits? Do you have some niche problem that requires extra help?

twowrist t1_je6mal3 wrote

I’m surprised no one has yet mentioned REI. They’re a coop, so getting a lifelong membership is worthwhile. They have a store in Framingham, as well as Boston, Cambridge, and a couple of other locations in the area.

sadgringopapi t1_je5vgt8 wrote

what a weird post

−7

Necessary-Parking-23 OP t1_je5w85u wrote

What do you mean

Justdoingthebestican t1_je5yxi1 wrote

It’s not weird don’t listen to that guy. If you have the cash North Face puffy jackets are awesome, mine keeps me so warm and protects from the wind great

sadgringopapi t1_je5y8k9 wrote

just a weird thing to ask on reddit

−4

CoffeeCat262 t1_je60r6h wrote

It’s not a weird question at all? And I have a North Face puffy jacket that has lasted forever and keeps me nice and warm.