Submitted by GarlVinlandSaga t3_yem7st in boston

Flair is a joke since I did do some searching before coming here.

My car failed its emissions test due to a technicality. I had to jump the battery recently, and I had no idea that jumping a vehicle fucks up the onboard diagnostics computer until you drive it around for ~50 miles in mixed highway/city conditions. Anyway, I can't get it back to the shop for reinspection until next week, and I don't have a private lot I can park it at in the meantime. Does anyone know for certain if I'm legally in the clear to park it on the street until then? I'm given to believe that a black R on my sticker is way less severe than a red R, which is a safety failure that requires immediate resolution.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

VicVinegar88 t1_ityvieg wrote

Black R is fine. Just get it retested

-CalicoKitty- t1_ityv50v wrote

I got a red R for worn tires last year and the guy said I could drive with that for up to 60 days. If you can legally drive the car, I would assume you can also park it on the street.

riski_click t1_itz64py wrote

Correct, if it's a red "R," the problem must be fixed immediately, but you have 60 days to get it re-inspected.

-CalicoKitty- t1_itz75zo wrote

I did get the tires replaced within a few days, but who would have noticed if I didn't? Can a cop ticket/tow you if they happen to notice?

riski_click t1_itz989r wrote

They can ticket you for "operating an unsafe vehicle," but I don't know if they could pull you over for it, or what the penalty would be (towed from the scene?).

BsFan t1_itzfqnb wrote

Should be ticketed and towed. Driving on bald tires puts you and everyone else at risk, especially in rain

SpindriftRascal t1_itzn0f5 wrote

Under Comm v. Riley, the police may stop any car with a red R inspection, because there is no other way for them to know if the safety problem was addressed. The stop could lead to a citation and a tow. (But, seriously, everyone, don’t drive on failed tires. It puts everyone at risk.)

Proof-Variation7005 t1_iu046sb wrote

I'm still super psyched about the time I got a red R for a faded license plate and had to wait like 2 months for a new plate and got pulled over at least once a week.

SpindriftRascal t1_itz7rlo wrote

You can drive with the red R for 60 days if you replace the worn tires. (If you don’t replace the worn tires, you are not allowed to operate the vehicle at all.)

dyqik t1_itzkjbf wrote

It's usually 50-100 miles or so to get the ECU back into the right state. Importantly, this mileage has to be after the car is fully warmed up (so that the ignition/fueling etc. is in "closed loop" mode), so you'll need to do some longer drives, rather than a bunch of short drives.

-Jedidude- t1_itzj7wt wrote

I also had same thing happen after replacing a part right before inspection. You have 60 days to get it inspected so you’ll be fine.