Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SLUer12 t1_itus7e8 wrote

All true except schools in Seattle are still largely functional compared to Boston. It was much harder to raise a family in Boston and before we left Seattle we had moved to a Boston collar suburb because BPS was just so terrible. This means a lot of the benefits of Boston aren’t quite as applicable and accessible anymore if you have kids but can’t afford private school. In Seattle we are still able to raise three kids in the city proper. So pound for pound the amenities available to us are much greater.

You will also notice there are well maintained playgrounds everywhere across Seattle with actual kids in them. In Boston, many of these playgrounds are empty. Overall I feel the city is more family friendly.

I also don’t agree on the public transportation either. Seattle has a phenomenal bus system, way better than Boston’s and it goes everywhere including sleepy single family home neighborhoods past midnight at 15 min frequency. There are also dedicated bus lanes everywhere. The rail system is small but it is growing and really I get around faster on the bus in Seattle than I did on the green line in Boston, and most lines now with the state of MBTA. We are 15 min bus ride from science museum, pike place, zoo, three or four farmers markets, concert venues and several large parks.

Vancouver is a phenomenal city too and it’s just 2.5 hrs away. We go often for events and festivals. NYC is much farther away for Boston and not a great drive.