Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CJYP t1_iu0t54h wrote

There are two full traffic lanes. When a car is stopped in the driving lane, ambulances will use the other one. The lanes are fairly large, so there's even room for traffic to move out of the way of the ambulance if needed. Seems pretty simple to me. How is it handled on existing narrow one lane streets?

No_Marionberry5581 t1_iu1evw3 wrote

Yeah, that might work on a normal two lane road. But Cambridge street is normally very backed up. Add to that the fact that cars can’t pull to the side for an ambulance, and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

−4

CJYP t1_iu1fdsh wrote

So, it's not safe to block the bike lane. It's also not safe to block the road. Where would you put them?

No_Marionberry5581 t1_iu1g6yo wrote

I don’t think any of it is safe. I have ridden this route every day for seven years. I want and need it to be safe. But taking away the only place cars can stop for deliveries and stop in an emergency makes no sense to me. I don’t consider this safe for vehicles or bikes. I don’t consider this safe for rescue vehicles needing to get the hospital quickly, or fire engines who are at the station opposite this picture. I feel like we are trying to do too much in too little a space and it’s bound to cause issues. Out of all the bike lines that have been built around Boston, I find the stretch of Cambridge street from govt center down to the bridge to be particularly concerning.