Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chippopotanuse t1_iu3z3y9 wrote

If the gun was bought illegally, that’s another crime the parents should be charged with. But we don’t know how they acquired it.

I’m fine holding folks accountable for breaking the law when it comes to firearms. Whether it’s negligent ownership or illegal purchases.

itsonlyastrongbuzz t1_iu42kac wrote

Totally agreed.

I agreed with your original premise, just wanted to clarify that banning future firearms as a punishment is only a punishment if they originally followed the law.

Understood that if the gun was acquired illegally that’s a new crime in and of itself.

Chippopotanuse t1_iu44kkg wrote

Banning firearm possession creates an entirely new category of criminal jeopardy if they are found in possession.

Felon in possession is a serious crime. And when prosecuted, almost always ends in a jail sentence. Almost always a man. Almost always a US citizen. With an average sentence of 5 years.

Here are some stats for anyone who cares:

• 97.7% of felon in possession of a firearm offenders were men.

• 94.5% were United States citizens.

• 97.6% of felon in possession of a firearm offenders were sentenced to prison; sentences varied widely by whether a mandatory minimum penalty applied in the case.

• The average sentence for all felon in possession of a firearm offenders was 64 months.

Source: https://www.ussc.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/research-and-publications/quick-facts/Felon_In_Possession_FY18.pdf

NoMoLerking t1_iu46i8l wrote

If the gun was bought illegally the parents can just play dumb. Gun? What gun?

−5

DocPsychosis t1_iu47bcm wrote

It turns out that defendants can still be prosecuted even if they don't confess!

NoMoLerking t1_iu48ggj wrote

That requires a lot of detailed and difficult police work though.

−1