Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Himekat t1_ixt1jms wrote

Honestly, the two best dim sum places in Chinatown don’t use carts: Winsor and Great Taste.

With China Pearl still closed for renovations, you’re basically left with Hei La Moon and maybe Empire (I don’t know if they still use carts), which are subpar options.

Unless you have some odd attachment to carts, I would go to one of the places in the area (Chinatown, Quincy, Malden, etc.) that doesn’t use them.

SDVNova OP t1_ixt2gqh wrote

Thanks! I might try Great Taste. I’m looking for better tasting food lol I just wanted to bring my mom to try dim sum with the carts but it’s not a big deal. One thing I’m curious about is.. what do most people order when they eat dim sum in the morning?

Himekat t1_ixt313x wrote

What do you mean? All the dim sum items are available in the morning, and people eat everything based on what they like. In fact, it’s really more of a morning/brunch meal meant to be eaten with tea.

The carts are essentially disappearing. COVID worries aside, carts haven’t been fashionable or used at most places in Hong Kong in years, so that seems to be making its way over here slowly.

SDVNova OP t1_ixt41z5 wrote

I thought people wouldn’t order more heavier or fried foods like beef chow fun or fried pork buns because it’s too early. Just something I always thought about. If that doesn’t matter then that’s good to know

Himekat t1_ixt4ohp wrote

People basically order whatever they feel like. You’ll see pretty much everything being ordered/eaten. Beef chow fun isn’t really a dim sum item, per se, but you could even order that at some restaurants (oftentimes, they’ll let you order off the lunch menu, too).

SDVNova OP t1_ixt56z3 wrote

Thanks for clarification 😊

sajatheprince t1_ixtjkhj wrote

I pick these 2 as the best as well. My fave from Great Taste is their version of XO turnip cakes. They deep fry them until crispy instead of just pan frying them.

SDVNova OP t1_ixt8x91 wrote

Which would you choose? Windsor or Great Taste?

consortess t1_ixtpj8g wrote

If you go to Great Taste, get the radish cakes. This is my fave dim sum item made by any dim sum place in the world!

Himekat t1_ixtbnle wrote

For me, it depends on what I feel like eating (they serve some different things) and whether one of them has a wait or not (I’ll go to the one that doesn’t). I don’t really have one preference over another. But I live in Quincy, so I usually go to one of our places unless I have a specific reason to be in Chinatown.

-Boston617 t1_ixw5r4n wrote

I’ve worked for the City for many yrs and if you ever had the pleasure of driving down any street in Ctown w/ No parking it will be filled with an exterminators van and I challenge you to count how many exterminators are down there 7 days a week.You will see rats everywhere on the streets also.There not there for just the rat infestation either !!!

−2