Submitted by Jacobsol t3_z61a4p in boston

Hi! I live on the other side of the Bremen St Park in Eastie from the Airport T stop and often take early morning/late night flights. Last time I tried to walk to the Airport T stop around 4AM to take the off hours shuttle to the terminal but the Bremen St park gate was locked - is there any way to get across the park other than going all the way around it? I know they decide to lock the park whenever they feel like it, especially in the winter. It’s super annoying to have to Uber when I live right there and could just take the off hours shuttle.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BluestreakBTHR t1_ixyu8uh wrote

Parks usually close from Dusk til Dawn.

Jacobsol OP t1_ixyuedj wrote

I know but since the only way to access the area by the T stop is through that gate they typically leave it open longer than dusk - for example I don’t get out of class until 6PM but when I get to the airport T stop at 6:20 the gate is still open even though it is dark out

ImpressiveEffect8212 t1_ixyvueu wrote

They probably leave it open whenever the T is running. The blue line is definitely not running at 4 am. Even if the gate was open, would you be able to get into the station to cross the tracks to the buses?

Jacobsol OP t1_ixyx9w0 wrote

Yeah I think it starts back up around 5 something but I know the bus runs overnight in a limited capacity. That’s the other thing I’m not sure about… I assume they close and lock the door to the station but not sure since I have gotten that far lol I get why they do it but it’s so annoying being so close to the airport but having to spend money to Uber there

wallet535 t1_ixyy60l wrote

I don’t have a definite answer, but is the Bremen St. gate really the only way? I used to do rugby practice late at night in East Boston Memorial Park and would walk to the airport shuttles via a path/gate that’s clearly marked on Google Maps as part of my commute home on the Silver Line. I don’t know if/when the route I’m describing is locked.

Forsaken-Garlic4818 t1_ixzedv6 wrote

Memorial Park has nothing to lock, but if you live on the far end of the park (closer to the library) that would be a haul. You'd have to walk the entire length of Bremen St, turn onto Porter and then walk through Memorial Park (basically walking all the way around the Bremen St. Park). That's easily 20-25 minutes and that's assuming you're right on the perimeter of the park.

wallet535 t1_ixzmin6 wrote

Nothing my rugby coach wouldn’t have smiled about. :-)

Jacobsol OP t1_ixz4km7 wrote

I’ve seen that but I think it connects through Bremen St park. I’ll have to check that out and see because that would be a great option. I know I can go around the park in the other direction but it would be a 30-45 minute walk

Forsaken-Garlic4818 t1_ixze8zz wrote

Hi neighbor!

I also find it annoying that they don't follow their own hours in the winter - especially in the afternoon. I've tried to go through the gate that connects Memorial Park to the Bremen St. Park at 5PM and it's already locked, other times it's not (it's supposed to be open later). I feel your pain!

I thought the gate directly across from Airport (by the splash pad) is supposed to be open all the time (making it so if you get into the park you're basically trapped there).

Jacobsol OP t1_ixzvtd8 wrote

I’m glad someone else feels my pain! Sometimes the gate is open at 11pm and other times it’s closed at 5pm. They need to leave it open at least until the arrival of the last train. I’ve tried going through that gate by the splash pad at around 4am and it was locked but I have seen it open late night so night really sure how they decide when to open/close it

Forsaken-Garlic4818 t1_ixzxk2g wrote

I honestly don't know. They are way better at being consistent with Piers Park so it's annoying Bremen doesn't get the same treatment. It might be worth asking a Massport cop the next time you walk through, I find they're pretty friendly and take concerns seriously. But unfortunately not a long-term solution. :(

Jacobsol OP t1_iy0d65n wrote

I’ll definitely ask one of them next time I see one. I feel like they’ll just tell me I’m out of luck - just frustrating for sure but I get why they need to lock the gates

TudorPrincess1976 t1_ixz5hjr wrote

You walk through Boston at 4am? Alone? Wow. I applaud that (not being sarcastic. I'm not that brave)

−6

Jacobsol OP t1_ixz6byr wrote

Well I did until I found out that gate was closed! I live less than a 10 minute walk to the T and it’s fairly well lit. But I’ve just been ubering because I don’t want to walk 45 minutes around the park at 4am