Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SkiingAway t1_iy7jzlk wrote

Eh, it's not exactly a very fairly written piece.

For example:

Describing the area of Lincoln St/Brighton that was affected as some kind of thriving neighborhood is.....roughly equivalent to describing Mass & Cass as home to lots of independent entrepreneurs. It was primarily slaughterhouses, stockyards, and industry. There were a handful of non-industrial properties at each end of Lincoln St that got taken out.

There's probably few places less pleasant in the country to be than Lincoln St in the early 1950s unless you had no sense of smell or sight.

The claim that the Pike somehow divided North Allston from South Allston also seems....questionable at best, as it was just as divided pre-Pike. Exact same crossings, exact same placement. Actually, the ped bridge from Franklin, shitty as it is, I think amounts to a net increase of connectivity vs the pre-Pike condition. The "steep Cambridge St bridge" is one short flight of stairs/ramp at Mansfield/Lincoln as the only added obstacle from the pre-Pike condition.

I could go on.

There's certainly valid points in the article, but there's also a whole bunch of not very objective writing that I'd argue doesn't inform very well.

kabloom195 t1_iy856l0 wrote

The stock yards were on the south side of the tracks, where Boston Landing and Stop and Shop are today. The north side of the tracks was about a dozen residential properties (Market St to Portsmouth St) and railyard infrastructure.

West of Market St, the creation of Leo M Birmingham Parkway was probably more damaging than the Pike in terms of the number of properties that were ripped up to create roadway.

kabloom195 t1_iy86ubb wrote

Looking through historical aerial photos at mapjunction.com, it doesn't look like the throat on the Charles River was more park-like before the pike was built.