Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RogueInteger t1_iy1ru5h wrote

FWIW if you get a $20 whetstone and watch a five minute YouTube video you can get unlimited sharpening across all straight blades for life.

I just habitually sharpen mine every 4 months and it's great. Easy thing to do when snowed/rained in.

PrinceWalnut t1_iy2bf71 wrote

This is good advice but if you're at all nervous about the concept of sharpening blades you maybe should just get someone else to do it. It's not that expensive compared to a hospital bill because you don't get safety intuitively. Sharpening blades isn't hard but there is some dumb stuff you can do (e.g. touching your eyes without washing off the metal bits on your fingers) that is probably more likely to happen if you're super antsy about these things.

RogueInteger t1_iy480hy wrote

I'd say less likely. The more informed you are the less mistakes you'll make. But to each their own.

So far I've probably sharpened my knives over 100 times and we're bandaid free.

squareboxxers OP t1_iy1utt6 wrote

I've tried and scratched up my knife already I plan on buying a cheap knife to learn but I just need my knife sharpened after Thanksgiving

RogueInteger t1_iy1wbml wrote

Most come with a guard to keep the knife at the right angle.

If you have chips to your point you'll want someone with an electric belt to grind it down.

Don't discount honing the knife after usage.

Emergency-Candy1677 t1_iy1s3rp wrote

where did you get the stone from?

RogueInteger t1_iy1tdia wrote

Amazon. Just sort by cheapest and best reviewed. There's not a lot of nuance in the material. For more insight, get one with two grits (medium and fine) and work from rougher to smoother. Don't forget to apply pressure and use a shit ton of water. Also don't touch your eyes after until after washing your hands to avoid getting anything into them.

I pour a glass of wine and play west coast gangster rap and get sharp.

DigitalKungFu t1_iy37zln wrote

Usually a local hardware store. There are also some good kitchen shops on Newbury in Back Bay and Charles in Beacon Hill