Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Absurd_nate t1_ivp8fx2 wrote

What is your reason for them to not have a license?

We know that some people are here illegally, whatever the reason, would you prefer:

A) they drive without car insurance, so if you get rear ended you have to pay

B) they drive with car insurance so if you get rear ended you don’t have to pay.

Either way we already established they are here illegally. The license doesn’t give them the ability to vote, and this law doesn’t give a pathway to citizenship, so I don’t really see the issue with it.

josh_bourne t1_ivpar69 wrote

These people can and they have car insurance, they can register a car and have insurance, it makes even more ridiculous not giving them a dl

Absurd_nate t1_ivpr815 wrote

I was under the impression it was required to have a DL to have insurance, how do you insure without a DL, I had to provide mine to insure?

RhaenyrasUncle t1_ivpa5an wrote

> The license doesn’t give them the ability to vote, and this law doesn’t give a pathway to citizenship, so I don’t really see the issue with it.

The goal is not to give noncitizens citizenship, but rather to give noncitizens the right to vote in our elections. With drivers licenses, they would now have official, state-recognized identification, which can be used as the basis for voter registration.

Noncitizen voting rights was on the ballot in Oregon this election, and just barely failed. I wouldnt be surprised if it comes up in a few other states in 2024, and possibly passes somewhere in 2026. Might even be in our own state.

−9

737900ER OP t1_ivpdgsv wrote

That doesn't make any sense. Anyone with a Massachusetts address and a visa allowing them to stay in the US for over 1 year can get a Mass ID/DL today. Lots of foreign students have Mass Liquor IDs because of our archaic alcohol laws even though they don't have permanent residency, not to mention green card holders.

RhaenyrasUncle t1_ivphe1i wrote

Correct. But all of those people are documented, aka here legally.

We're discussing undocumented individuals.

metallzoa t1_ivpm1ed wrote

Oh so if someone bypasses the system and votes illegally it's fine because they have a valid visa? Yeah makes sense /s