Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WinsingtonIII t1_ivq519z wrote

TBF, question 2 was also much less controversial than 1 or 4, whether someone agrees with all three or not.

Anything to do with taxation or immigration can be a bit of a lightning rod. Some regulation for dental insurance is by comparison not particularly contentious, whether the legislature has discussed it or not.

peteysweetusername t1_ivq6dsu wrote

What I meant was more of a take on the legislature. These ballot votes show where the public at large thinks and they overwhelmingly supported question 2. In my book, with that kind of support, the legislature should have easily passed this legislation rather than having to collect tens of thousands of signatures. They did vote to pass questions that ultimately lot are being decided on a 55/45 margin. The difference to me is obviously lobbyist influence

WinsingtonIII t1_ivq783e wrote

I see, that makes sense.

Though I think you could argue that perhaps question 2 wasn't raised by the legislature as it wasn't viewed as a huge deal by many people until it made the ballot. For instance, I am very in favor of question 2 since I work in health policy and feel strongly about the fact dental insurance is essentially a scam as it stands right now. But I can see how many people might rank questions 1 and 4 as being ultimately more impactful questions from a policy perspective.

In terms of what the legislature takes up, it's not just about margin of support, it's about how strongly people feel about the issue as well.