Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PetzlPretzl t1_ix08qwu wrote

The solution for these situations always seems the same to me; try different neighborhoods. I couldn't afford to live in JP next to a T station, or in Southie. But I got a SFH in Roslindale on a bus line with a little backyard on a pretty quiet street. Needed a new kitchen, bathroom and heating system, but the foundation and the roof were super solid. And I love my little house.

nicecupoftea02116 t1_ix0khof wrote

Ended up in Hyde Park as probably a 4th-choice neighborhood, 1200sf 3bd, pay $2500/mo all in. Bundled home/auto insurance for further savings. House needed a lot of basic cosmetic repair (pulled up carpeting, wood paneling) New kitchen and new boiler probably in about 5 -7 years. Could not be happier with the community and the location.

BeatriceDaRaven t1_ix0qogs wrote

I'm curious where OP got $5000/mo figure from, i'm in a 1600sf 3bd in dedham and it's abot $2800/mo... I know my payment would be a lot worse at market rate (bought summer '21) but I still don't see anywhere near 5k/month

zipykido t1_ix0zn74 wrote

Lexington, Arlington, Needham, etc are what OP is probably referring to. 5k is about 800k-1mil house.

BeatriceDaRaven t1_ix1fnz6 wrote

Considering Dedham quie literally a "boston adjacent suburb" as well as adjacent to Needham, i'm not sure how OP couldn't be referring to Dedham.

SynbiosVyse t1_ix1oek1 wrote

Yeah Dedham has a significant border with Boston proper but this sub is predominantly north of Boston so if doesn't get mentioned frequently, like Milton and Canton (large and small borders with Boston proper, respectfully). Quincy I think is big enough it is still mentioned quite a bit.

BeatriceDaRaven t1_ix1psnz wrote

interesting, where do you get the impression this sub is predominantly north of Boston? I've never heard or noticed that before. And if that's the case, why are literally none of the other top responses (Roslindale, Hyde Park, Lexington, Needham) on the north shore? your assertion doesn't really hold up at all

tapo t1_ix1slad wrote

what was the purchase price?

BeatriceDaRaven t1_ix1tb2s wrote

$500-550k range, 1930s house that needed decent work

rainniier2 t1_ix3qrew wrote

I’m not sure what interest rate you’re using but a $550k mortgage is about $3600-3800/month right now. If you’re using the estimates in Zillow the interest rates they use in their calculations are not up to date. You have to go in and change them to todays reality.

BeatriceDaRaven t1_ix4bkbe wrote

I know, that's why I literally said "my payment would be a lot worse today at market rate". Your own calculations being you to 36-3800, that's a far cry from 5-6k op is talking about. Which was exactly my point.

giritrobbins t1_ix8kzid wrote

Are there homes even at that price point any more?

BeatriceDaRaven t1_ix8lcko wrote

yes, and the market has cooled off substantially you have so much more negotiating power as a buyer then I did at time of purchase

giritrobbins t1_ix8kigz wrote

Property taxes. The difference between towns can be quite steep. I think if my place was in Nedham or Dedham I'd be paying probably 500 dollars or more monthly in taxes.

PetzlPretzl t1_ix0oe57 wrote

OMG the wood paneling. Forgot to mention that. My first floor was covered it in. One of the bedrooms still is. 😁

terminal_e t1_ix11jvl wrote

If you don't like wood paneling, you probably don't appreciate rich Corinthian leather

wsdog t1_ix150z5 wrote

If you don't have school age kids - probably ideal.

wilcocola t1_ix39c2p wrote

What’s the deal with public schools in Hyde park? Is it Boston school system? If so, does that mean your kids could end up getting bussed anywhere in the city? How does that work. Do you feel safe walking alone at night in your area?

nicecupoftea02116 t1_ix66qwu wrote

Yes, I feel safe walking to/from buses and the commuter rail. A new brewery just opened nearby and I hope it will be popular and bring foot traffic near Sprague St/Readville.

BPS students in grades K-6 are not bused "anywhere in the city." There are local catchment zones. Grades 7-12 are citywide, yes, but I don't hear many parents of exam school students declining seats there because their teenager has to commute from Charlestown to BLA.

Overwhelmingly most K-6 students will attend a public school within 2 miles of their home.

Pudge223 t1_ix0o9q0 wrote

Very similar story here. Couldn’t afford Davis so came to Rozzy. My place was updated but I redid the basement and made some other minor improvements. I have a good size yard, driveway, and garage. Rozzy rules.

LadyGreyIcedTea t1_ix28dn8 wrote

I ended up in Roslindale after originally planning to move to JP as well. This was way back in 2011 and I was going to get a 1 BR apartment in JP but realized (it was a buyers market at the time) that I could buy for not much more than I would be paying in rent for a 1 BR. I bought a 3 BR SFH and I pay less for my mortgage (with taxes and insurance escrowed in) than most people pay for a 1 BR apartment these days.