Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

UltravioletClearance t1_iwqazrh wrote

The arlington buy nothing page is a trip. It's amazing what rich people will throw away.

Jer_Cough t1_iwrafhr wrote

Dude when I was a mover, I furnished my apartment with really nice castoffs from Newton/Belmont/Wellesley/Weston/Lexington/etc. A coworker even copped a 2 year old side by side Subzero fridge. Rich folk are not shy about shedding belongings when they move.

noothanksreddit t1_iwrexi9 wrote

I went to Brandeis. Oh boy, when I visited my friend who grew up in Weston...

I didn't know someone so close to Boston could own so much land. Acres.

They renovated the basement with 16 fucking bunk beds for when family came over and there was a fucking wall climb wall! Shit was like only 10-12 feet, Clearly for children under teenage years.

We literally fucking made Simba jokes. "Everything the sun touches, it is yours."

I have only ever lived in apartments, and have been homeless 3 times. The shock was fucking unreal. Oh, he had a bedroom AND a playroom, fully equipped with Oculus VR (I want to say around 2018?), Foosball table, you name it. His fucking okay room was worth more than my life.

Anyways I just wanted to say I saw a ton of genuine marble furniture around those parts. The worst part is? Even if you were smart enough to resell it, shit is so fucking heavy a regular person couldn't just load it onto their car.

Edit: Forgot to add that the play room was in A SEPARATE WING OF THE HOUSE. Mother fucker had such a big house, they had to section shit off. FAFSA FUCKED me. I probably paid more for college than he did lol.

ChildOfHeist t1_iwr2xhr wrote

It's amazing Arlington is now considered a rich people town. As recently as the 90s it was a squarely middle class, largely Catholic suburb. You had to go to Wellesley or Weston or parts of Belmont and Lexington to find the truly rich. Arlington was always fine but never considered one of the most desirable towns.

noothanksreddit t1_iwsexv6 wrote

It's because the concept of Rich has changed.

You own a house in Arlington? You're rich.

Got 10 acres and a cranberry bog in Weston? You're rich.

You own a tiny little apartment on the 14th floor of a building in downtown? You're rich.

The concept of renting has literally caused generations of people to not be able to understand a wage gap nor actually having to provide for themselves, because again, daddy mommy money.

The shit I saw at Brandeis was absolutely ridiculous. Not even going to talk about the excessive abuse of Adderall and the cover ups of rape.

Gotta keep your image somehow!

SuperMario17 t1_iwsg3ns wrote

Is this a Facebook page?

HP-DocLady t1_iwumhj2 wrote

Yes there are FB groups for each locale of greater Boston area. It's moderated.

tim_p t1_iwujxlo wrote

I've been in the Medford one for years. It's very cozy, has a great community feeling!

smurphy8536 t1_iwqtd6l wrote

Funny story. The buy nothing Jamaica plain page underwent a revolt a few years back. I guess the parent organization tried to split the page to keep the membership at a certain level. Accusation for classism got thrown around and we ended up with an “Everything Free JP” page.

arch_llama t1_iwsalr8 wrote

I think this post is about an app and your comment is about a facebook page.

smurphy8536 t1_iwsogm2 wrote

Buy nothing started as a Facebook page. And it was their corporate structure caused the rift. Not against the concept but also not surprised they formalized it more.

arch_llama t1_iwspswy wrote

Oh you're saying the same group of people that started all the local buy nothing fb pages also make the app? I didn't realize that.

Now you have me curious. They have a .org domain but they are an incorporated with a trademark on Buy Nothing. What could their business model possibly be? I see they except donations but their apps look too polished to be funded by only that.

Weird.

smurphy8536 t1_iwssv24 wrote

Yep. When JP’s original page hit some designated member count some admin from another state stepped in and said the group had be be split instead of just being all of JP. There was a lot of argument about classism given how segregated JPB is and they ended up making a rival group.

tim_p t1_iwujnn6 wrote

I'm in the Medford group, and see the Somerville group does that. I don't get the point...isn't a bigger group just better? More activity, more critical mass, etc.

smurphy8536 t1_iwuuaza wrote

Idk the reasoning behind it. It was really weird because the page admin was someone who lived on the west coast and they wouldn’t budge even when people tried to find a solution. They basically just made the page private and kicked a bunch of people.

coastAL_- t1_iwq175i wrote

Seems like a lot of work compared to old-fashioned shoplifting.

ballerinablonde4 t1_iwq5jw9 wrote

I live in the suburbs and our towns fb group is great, I got all of my kids winter stuff and Christmas gifts this year from there.

Conan776 t1_iwq38vl wrote

Buy Nothing Day is also coming up on November 24th.

tim_p t1_iwujt2y wrote

My favorite holiday! I really wanted to try putting together a party or something for it, with a junk-in-the-trunk style swapmeet.

Only problem is, so many people will be on vacation to family for Thanksgiving. And it's a bit cold to do it comfortably outside. Well, mayb=e I'll figure out something for next year.

ForwardBound t1_iwpzl2m wrote

Buy Nothing is great. We get rid of so much packaging that we'd otherwise throw out, and we pick up so much stuff for our dog.

Roszo21 t1_iwsyv3o wrote

For those having trouble with the app, look to see if your neighborhood or town has a free or buy nothing Facebook group.

The downside is that as these have become more popular, it's become harder and harder to claim anything remotely decent. My neighborhood group is flooded with comments by the same 10 SAHMs within five minutes of a new posting. Half the time people are just addicted to free, and you see them give away the stuff them claimed a month ago again because they didn't actually need it. And so many people flake out on picking up that now people have bizarre demands when giving away.

Trash day honestly seems like a better bet if your commute or daily dog walk takes you through a nice neighborhood.

Que-pasa-2020 t1_iwt0abw wrote

Interesting concept! Horrible app.