Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

pillbinge t1_iy08drx wrote

It's not a problem that someone may leave, or that they may die. That's life. It isn't a problem to be solver.

If you think automated things are futureproof, I don't know what to tell you. The idea of being "futureproof" is only introduced by technology itself. It's futureproof until the license runs out, or something else happens behind the scene. Why the same person voicing everything wouldn't be consistent is beyond make; makes me think you're not really looking at this from a real point of view and are tossing out clichés that come with discussions about technology.

Teddyteddy5525 t1_iy13inc wrote

First of all, what is this Technology you keep mentioning? Do you mean like people in tech? Do you think it’s just a blanket term to be used when discussing new inventions?

and

> It’s not a problem that someone may leave, or that they may die. That’s life. It isn’t a problem to be solver.

People are literally complaining about it in this post. This is the fundamental issue automated announcements solve. Your voice actor can pass away or leave and you will still be able to use their voice so people like those in this post don’t lose their shit.

Futureproof is the concept of having technology that does not need to be constantly updated and overhauled. Your argument is going into semantics of it being a completely hands-off system but for example licenses can be contracted in perpetuity. My point being that the automated system is future-proof unless they wish to change it. The quality will not degrade or change like actual voice actors and adding more announcements don’t require any new costs.

I agree with you that it should be unified voice. But this again is a point for automating public announcements. A new T line in 2022 can use the same voice as the current ones and also potential new developments in 2040.

I have a feeling you have a healthy distrust of “technology” which is fine but let’s not ignore the tangible benefits of improvements.

pillbinge t1_iy5bj1n wrote

The marvelous technology of recording a voice, that's been around for a fairly long time. This issue is being overly complicated when it's simple. Just have someone voice the announcements so it's more human. It isn't difficult. That they're replacing it without word (on my end) that he wants to step down is a different but related topic.

The semantics of futureproof are very important. "Semantics" isn't a cliché to wave away a topic.

>A new T line in 2022 can use the same voice as the current ones and also potential new developments in 2040.

Why are you invested in this so strongly? This is very odd. It's like you're anxious about solving a problem that doesn't need solving.

>benefits of improvements.

This is a benefit to some bottom line, not a benefit to the service. And having someone do the voices isn't that big a deal. I'm certainly skeptical of technology is a healthy way; it has to prove useful. In this case, it proves useful to management, not designers. Or anyone, really. I have a feeling you jump way too quickly into the idea that any technological improvement is some universal good.