Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

VMP85 t1_j1ggnee wrote

It's evident you haven't been to sporting events at some of the other stadiums being chosen. The area surrounding Gillette is a lot better than the area surrounding NRG Stadium, Levis Stadium, Arrowhead, Sofi, and Hard Rock. Thanks the the NFL, no country on Earth exceeds, matches, or comes close to the stadiums we have in the US. 2026 is going to be the most attended World Cup ever. Almost all of the stadiums lack good transit. It won't matter. All of the games will sellout. Overseas fans will come in droves and stay with their relatives or friends. This will be a lot different than a typical World Cup.

Comfortable-Scar4643 t1_j1inc75 wrote

Sort of agree. But the English football stadiums are way bigger.

Quincyperson t1_j1j3xpe wrote

Not really. Wembley is larger than any NFL stadium, but after that, there’s only four other soccer stadiums in the UK that would be comparable to any NFL stadiums

Comfortable-Scar4643 t1_j1psav2 wrote

I don’t know. I took a bus from London to the coast and we passed the Aston Villa stadium. It looked pretty big.

Quincyperson t1_j1qmxje wrote

According to Wikipedia, Villa Park holds 42,000. The smallest capacity in the NFL is Soldiers Field in Chicago at 61,000

powsandwich t1_j1hoop7 wrote

Unrelated but I might like to see the odds that all games sellout. Some Qatar games had visibly empty seats (granted it’s Qatar), but also the 2026 cup is going to be expanded to 48 teams for the first time. There’s going to be a lot of seats to fill

man2010 t1_j1il7pb wrote

I think people around the world would much rather travel to North America than Qatar for the World Cup, never mind the US/Mexico/Canada having 150x the population of Qatar

Comfortable-Scar4643 t1_j1ingzs wrote

Think of all the people coming from Latin America. It will be a zoo. And fun people watching for sure.

WinsingtonIII t1_j1jkd2l wrote

Nah, I expect most games to sell out. The US has a huge population and even though soccer isn’t the most popular sport here over 25 million people in the US watched the 2022 World Cup final. Qatar’s entire population is only 2.8 million people, which was part of the issue, there simply weren’t that many local fans attending. The US will provide more local fans simply by virtue of having 100+ times the population.

Add in the fact that travel from Latin America will be much easier and Latin American fans travel in huge numbers, and the fact European fans won’t be as bothered by the location in terms of controversy, and I suspect attendances will be high.