Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

simonsays123 t1_j25k7ho wrote

Yes, the supply rates have jumped a lot, especially for National Grid. 33.89cents/kwh is the correct supply rate for National Grid for the next 6 months. National Grid and Eversource adjust their basic supply rates every 6 months.

The supply rate is only about half the bill, the rest is delivery. The supply rates have been impacted by the prevailing price of natural gas as this is how the Northeast generates much of its electricity, especially at the margins.

On your bills, compare the kwh usage vs previous months to see if it’s just the rate increase impacting you, or if you also consumed more.

Look for a “community aggregation” program in your town, where your town can negotiate a thirdparty supply rate that you can opt into. In many towns, this will result in 10-20% bill savings over using the basic supply rate

Example in Boston: https://www.boston.gov/departments/environment/community-choice-electricity

IrishLion89 t1_j29892n wrote

I highly recommend looking into the community aggregation programs. Most will offer a couple different tiers depending on how much of your electricity supply you want coming from renewable sources. They also typically lock in their rates for a longer time so they won't change twice a year.

When I lived in Boston I had signed up for it and it was definitely cheaper than Eversource. Now in Stoneham, I signed up for their 100% renewable community aggregation and even that tier is cheaper than Eversource's basic supply rate.