Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Vivecs954 t1_j6l38j7 wrote

Or if they stopped using hardi cement siding, and used an actually good looking exterior like brick.

Also if the buildings weren’t so huge, like they could build two slightly smaller adjacent buildings instead of one monster

hx87 t1_j6l715c wrote

Good brick looks much better than the best fiber cement, but bad brick can be much, much worse than the hackiest fiber cement installation. Think of the column bases of City Hall, or the average 1960s public housing project--acres of nothing but running bond red brick. No depth, no detail, just monolithic liminal space hell, like somebody was intentionally trying to build the backrooms IRL. Brick and architectural minimalism just don't mix.

To make brick look good you have to have contrasting brick bond patterns, actual lintels or arches above doors and windows (not some fake looking row of vertical bricks), actual sills that protrude beyond windows and aren't made of brick, and some depth to the brickwork. At least corbel the cornice, for goodness's sake.

Vivecs954 t1_j6n2s3l wrote

I’m not an architect or have any construction experience so when I said “brick” I meant good looking brick or other material. I see all sorts of new traditional style buildings built in Europe and they look beautiful and look like a part of the neighborhoods they are built in.

All the 5/1’s in Mansfield are a story taller than any other building, and are way more massive too. They stick out like a sore thumb.