Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SpecialPosition t1_j6i47p1 wrote

Has pagu gotten better? That place was so mediocre when it opened

hce692 t1_j6jakgo wrote

I was very bummed out by a meal there this summer. Subpar service and fine food. Shocking to me that it’s on this list

Also having 4.1 stars after 704 reviews on google is veryy low. Ive found that if a place dips below 4.3 average you should be side eyeing it

Moomoomoo1 t1_j6isdo9 wrote

I was there a couple of months ago and it was pretty good, but yeah I am a bit surprised at this nomination

jdmd791 t1_j6idm9o wrote

While not bad, I have also found MIDA so underwhelming.

-Odi-Et-Amo- t1_j6ij6zp wrote

I haven’t been to the Boston location, but agree about the one in Newton.

[deleted] t1_j6lprek wrote

They turn and burn their guests, and treat their staff like shit too. They’ve got a few new locations and concepts in the works this year, and the only thing they’re good at making, is money. They’re the worst of the worst in the industry for biting the hands that feed them.

spedmunki t1_j6j2cvs wrote

Nightshade is (or maybe now I should saw was) a fantastic hidden gem.

Magnificent8 t1_j6n8qrv wrote

Their food is great, but I've known multiple people who've had horrible experiences in the kitchen. The chef really seems to talk the talk about building a positive environment and then used straight-up abuse tactics with a good friend who worked there (e.g. hiring her with a promised salary and then once she'd quit her other job being told, "oh, maybe you'll make that eventually but we're going to start you off at roughly half that" and swearing up and down that she'd "make sure [my friend] never worked in another kitchen again" if she left Nightshade).

Kitchens aren't the friendliest places to work in general, but this shit was beyond the pale. It's so disappointing.

Reverse_Embedded t1_j6im2p3 wrote

PAGU was really just sort of okay. Not sure if they just ran out of ideas or if there's a bias for over-serviced restaurants.

Rebel Rebel is a cool space, but I found their ability to recommend things pretty lacking (experienced staff is hard to come by). Bonde for knowledgeable people, and Koji club for better overall experience.

BeastCoast t1_j6iw74p wrote

Weird. I took a sommelier friend from Napa to Rebel Rebel and he loved the staff there. We went in for a glass and ended up staying for a few bottles.

Reverse_Embedded t1_j6izu0q wrote

I can only say that I've visited 5+ times including getting bottles to go, and each time the wine, while wasn't bad, was not as described. Not often had this issue with other similarly priced wine shops.

Competitive_Bat4000 t1_j6jktyz wrote

Agree on Pagu, had much higher expectations. One of the dishes was great, the others not so much, wanted better consistency with the quality given the hype and price.

eaglessoar t1_j6igof1 wrote

ooh rebel rebel natural wine bar never heard of that gonna have to check it out for sure

also this is kind of surprising:

Yahya Noor, Tawakal Halal Cafe, Boston, MA

needlestuck t1_j6ke6la wrote

Not at all, Tawakal has been on basically every list for the past year or two. Fantastic food.

eaglessoar t1_j6kle5o wrote

I've only had their wraps, they're great, but on par with like a falafel king wrap

−1

ocmb t1_j6jy6hv wrote

I've never seen the word Filipinx in print before.

No-Pop-125 t1_j6jj5pd wrote

Big Giant Yay for Red Rose!!