Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chimsley99 t1_j5q9r02 wrote

But then they must pay a premium to the employees. In my mind being 20 min outside the city would mean likely an easier commute but you’re still close to Boston so you’re getting that boon to recruiting. Not like I’m saying they should move to north western MA

−6

man2010 t1_j5qgb60 wrote

It's only an easier commute from the surrounding towns, compared to downtown Boston which offers commuting options from the entire metro. Like, if Lego decided to put their headquarters in Norwood then they're going to struggle to hire someone from Arlington, but putting their headquarters in Boston makes it possible to hire from both.

Affectionate-Panic-1 t1_j5qo1kt wrote

People underestimate the commuter rail. It's way better to be in downtown Boston and commute via commuter rail than to drive to anything car dependent within 128.

AccousticMotorboat t1_j5qxbke wrote

Not everyone drives or wants to.

R_Morley t1_j5todvv wrote

it amazes me that anyone wants to drive in mass

vhalros t1_j5tqlfj wrote

Well, its the classic Massachusetts compromise: We can't agree how to improve transportation. But we can always come together and make all modes of transportation awful for every one, with bicycle lanes that just randomly stop and throw you into traffic, subway cars thirty years past their expiration dates, and car swallowing pot holes.

Pick your poison.

AccousticMotorboat t1_j5tol5q wrote

I avoid it whenever possible. I logged nearly as many miles on my bike as I drove this year.

Hribunos t1_j5tvtlo wrote

I once worked for a tech company that moved from Boston to Framingham. They lost 70% of their engineering staff and it killed the company. A lot of the really desirable staff in the Boston area live in the city and DO NOT want to commute out.

MazW t1_j5ua1rm wrote

Also it's easier to commute into the city rather from suburb to suburb.