Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

UltravioletClearance t1_j2x3nzn wrote

The MBTA posted an announcement about a full red line shutdown a couple months ago and quickly deleted it. It's obvious it's coming and the PR has already been written. Just a matter of when.

ShriekingMuppet t1_j2xgoqp wrote

My hunch is that they want to wait for the spring so that snow isn’t something to work around and it will be light out longer for track work south of JFK

vanillanuttapped t1_j2xnkw7 wrote

I think they're trying to nurse it through to the summer. One of the criticisms of the orange line shutdown was that it happened after schools and colleges were back in session, causing a bigger disruption than if they had done it during the summer months.

My real hope, albeit unlikely, is they're trying to figure out how to shut down portions of the line rather than a total shutdown.

inseminator9001 t1_j2y6wom wrote

Red is a much more tourist focused line. I suppose they could do it in late May and early June.

vanillanuttapped t1_j2ycy2o wrote

It's the busiest line, period. There's no way to shut it down without causing problems for a whole bunch of people, both tourists and locals. Unfortunately, we seem to be at a point where the T is unable to dig their way out of this hole using only weekend or overnight shutdowns.

At least if you can figure out a viable way to shut it down in chunks you can minimize the pain at any given time.

marshmallowhug t1_j31zwgj wrote

I'm very thankful that we finally bought a car this weekend (although in theory if the green line extension is doing ok, I might be able to take that to work).

dyslexicbunny t1_j2yzan5 wrote

I wonder what could have been accomplished over the winter holiday break for students. Even if they just did a partial shutdown of the line in that time.