Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

itsonlyastrongbuzz t1_j5u1wd1 wrote

Have you gotten a second opinion?

Changing your insurance before changing your dentist is kind of wild.

aleshere OP t1_j5u2e21 wrote

I am also trying to source a dentist that charges a decent price for a cleaning ($50-60).

I found recommendations for a few dental schools (BU, Tufts) but people say that it takes hours to get anything done.

I found a few cheap places (Gentle Dental for example) but they also seem to have bad reviews.

peteysweetusername t1_j5u6bsi wrote

Sorry to be blowing up your post but the reality is dental hygienists are getting $50 per hour. When you tack on overhead costs you’re not going to get a cleaning anywhere near what you’re expecting

joeyrog88 t1_j5vhibm wrote

But if you do two regular cleanings and two gentle dental cleanings... wouldn't you be okay? And also what about a legit electric toothbrush.

I was an asshole and my teeth were bad, two deep cleanings and they want follow ups but my hygienist is an absolute rockstar and hooked me up with a dope toothbrush. Either way a really nice toothbrush is way cheaper than $180.

zzzsleepygurll t1_j5u4aej wrote

I’ve always found gentle dental to provide a mediocre, but consistent cleaning. Very affordable too

StinkFloyyd t1_j5wdh0q wrote

In what universe is $50-60 for a 40 minute cleaning a decent price. The salary of the hygienist, plus rent, equipment and consumables, the cost of a dentist to supervise, liability insurance…suggest you go to a dental school

modernhomeowner t1_j5vxdzx wrote

I had a fantastic dentist when I lived in NY up until 4 years ago. $49 for a cleaning only, no exam, it was awesome, I would go every 4 months and get just one exam per year. Now in MA, the cheapest I could find for a cleaning was $125.

aleshere OP t1_j6fh0cq wrote

Yeah MA is the worst for these things