Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sardoniosophy t1_j5puomr wrote

Agree here. I have signed docs and the broker is very clear what I'm signing. If you didn't have a signed agreement, which in my experience has been separate from the lease (but not always!!!), it can't be enforced. They could push back and say it was a verbal contract but that would be pretty hard to prove in court in this case I'd imagine.

savory_thing t1_j5snuvq wrote

Wouldn’t be too hard to prove if the broker’s lawyer sees this thread.

−1

Sardoniosophy t1_j5tiqe2 wrote

Not true as OP has not stated that there was a verbal agreement they're trying to weasel out of. Rather that not only was there no written agreement, a verbal one also does not exist to the best of their knowledge.

puglord OP t1_j5ujv2t wrote

In my defense I’m not attempting to weasel out of something, this is ignorance on my end. My wife asked what we’d pay up front. He told her first-last rent, deposit, and broker fee. What he didn’t do was elaborate on that last thing. No papers were ever offered and no agreement was ever made.

Sardoniosophy t1_j5umgxk wrote

Yup! That's exactly what I'm getting from your post. Hence I don't think this thread could be used against you as was mentioned by the other commenter assuming the broker or their lawyer were to find this.