Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thebruns t1_j5w8291 wrote

When the Orange Line shutdown was proposed, I argued on here that it was a horrible idea. Washington DC WMATA started using the approach after 2009 and instead of quickly fixing things, it mean riders had to face closures while maintenance still dragged on for a decade. They also recently announced that in the summer they are closing a subway section that was just closed 2 years ago.

I also argued that in reality, its a labor cost saving. While they present it as 30 days of 24/7 work, it basically ends up being that they shift construction to between 8am and 4pm, instead of paying inflated evening or overnight labor rates. They also dont hire more people. Contrast that to Japan where a closure means 1,000 staff go HAM on the line 24/7 so its open for Monday morning.

I hate that I was right.

Apple488 t1_j5wn00y wrote

I actually move from Boston to Tokyo this January and seeing high speed subway trains arrive every 3-5min makes me so much happier

ibobnotnot t1_j5welh5 wrote

that's factually untrue they had teams working around the clock next to Wellington

Hribunos t1_j5ynbig wrote

They worked 24hrs around Sullivan too but... like two nights a week. Most of the time it was a 9-5 (more like 7-3 because God forbid construction workers ever keep normal hours).

nrvs_hbt t1_j5wrfn3 wrote

I'm not sure if that's true, I remember seeing pictures that look like they were definitely taken overnight.