Submitted by ss9714 t3_10jv0mt in boston

So I graduated college in 2022. My current lease expires this August. I want to move out of Boston. Preferably towards watertown/waltham/Newtonville area. Im looking on Facebook for apartments and roommate search and Not finding many options. Are the leases in cities outside of Boston also generally have leases expiring in September or is that just a college area thing. Basically, will I find more options/posts in Facebook of people looking for roommates in those areas later as the year goes on and into the summer?

Thanks

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bisbicos t1_j5mt4wf wrote

Yes, greater Boston and Massachusetts generally follow a September move in schedule.

Luxury new construction apartment buildings will have leases expiring year round, but most small mom and pop operations will be September 1st move in.

TalentedCilantro12 t1_j5n7cf9 wrote

Is this also true for buying a house? More supply around that time?

bisbicos t1_j5o2uam wrote

Not so much. The housing market is more geared toward spring and summer,, but there's always something for sale.

In my opinion sellers who don't sell and have a house sitting on the market around the holidays get a little more desperate to sell.

Freemind323 t1_j5mu2vl wrote

End of August and September are the most competitive for pretty much anywhere in MA. June is also rough due to all the medical residents moving in/out in the Boston area (they can be anywhere inside the 95 stretch.)

I actually had my best luck in starting a lease in July when I was looking in the summer. Actually got discounted rent for the year because so few people were looking.

shitz_brickz t1_j5owo1q wrote

It is generally a college thing, problem is Watertown/Waltham/Newton are all still in the college area. The further you go the more variation in lease start dates you will see.