Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

MJCollazo3 OP t1_j717ynj wrote

I thought switch connects to wifi

celcius_451 t1_j7187kh wrote

It can but it can stay offline and play most of it's games.

If what you meant was a device which don't have a wifi option at all only thing comes to mind is GameBoy Advance but it's so hard to find cartridges

MJCollazo3 OP t1_j718jr4 wrote

Yes unfortunately that is exactly what I mean. Absolutely no Wi-Fi.

celcius_451 t1_j7194of wrote

I suggest you read a book instead of trying to game on ancient devices then. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin is great to dive into.

MJCollazo3 OP t1_j719cj9 wrote

We literally have built and entire library of books. We are just looking for something simple and different.

grendelglass t1_j72c8nr wrote

Dude, I'd highly recommend a Gameboy Advanced SP. There's a wealth of amazing GBA games and the sp has a build in back-light and no need for replaceable batteries.

TreeOfAntiquity t1_j75ttg0 wrote

Would u be allowed a laptop with the network card removed? That way you could have an entire gaming system up to date but completely offline (just use external devices to transfer tg He game or data across) due to hardware making it impossible to go online without additional hardware being used. I say this is the best option as it gives u so much more than just gaming on the device. I worked in conditions similar and this was allowed (after much arguing from me). I would spend most evenings as work gaming or watching films in the gaps.

If not then the best option in my opinion would be a game system built (maybe raspberry pi) as an emulation machine allowing u to play up to ps2 games quite well. Again can be built without WiFi and just allow an sd card full of gamed.

Or if u want to go with an already known pre made system then the psp (non WiFi option) or an old gameboy advanced or something will be just fine.

MJCollazo3 OP t1_j7i726c wrote

That would be awesome. I understand completely what you are saying but these petty people here with bending every rule given to them has made it impossible to have things like that since it would be an easy fix for internet access.

TreeOfAntiquity t1_j7jl040 wrote

Now I feel so bad for u I'm looking up stealth gaming systems lol. I dont know if they exist but I was thinking a console that has had its outer frame removed and 3d printwd a random older systems case for it... so in other words will the know a raspreberri pi from a gameboy if the outside is using a ganeboy cover and maybe a gameboy startup screen? U could even hide the OS to a degree or at least mask it. Otherwise ur literally limited to pre nintendo ds days. Which for me is not bad as I actually prefer the games from the 80s and 90s anyway.... but I don't know what ur taste is either.

I mean as a cyber security engineer I find it mad that they don't just implement some security changes to prevent people connecting to the WiFi and have a separate guest access for non Corp users... but hey I get it. They're assholes.