Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Anubra_Khan t1_ivxux38 wrote

I'd recommend the PS5 disc model for you since it's a guaranteed upgrade. It will make your existing library better, add current gen exclusives AND you can sell your PS4. That should give you a head start on saving up for your VR. Also, they are still a bit difficult to get. This gives you the opportunity to put the stress of finding one on someone else.

Since you've never had VR, you run the risk of possibly not liking it. When you are counting on one or 2 big gifts every year, it sucks when you get one that turns out to be a bust. I'm not saying VR is a bust but it's possible that you may get bored with it after a few the or so. It's an unknown whereas the PS5 is a guaranteed improvement.

Neither_Sort_2479 t1_ivyvem5 wrote

This. VR is fun for the first time, but it is much more for enthusiasts and chances that your oculus will gather dust on shelf in a month is quite high. PS5 is more stable investment

FelixKyber t1_ivxj7dl wrote

Buy both? I have the Xbox Series X and Oculus Quest 2 and both are fantastic. With you being a PlayStation user, I’m sure the PS5 is good too

LexerX t1_ivxphzi wrote

Eventually i will get both but im sure my parents wouldnt allow me to get them at the same time

PuzzleheadedNovel987 t1_ivyltg5 wrote

PS5. Easier to share with others. And less gross. I remember the last time I tried my buddies Oculus. Even though he sanitized it it still smelt like sweat. Felt like I was sticking my face into a sweaty hockey glove 🤢

p68 t1_ivym46w wrote

If you’re mainly a console gamer and play mostly on PlayStation, PS5 is a no brainer. If not, then it’s more about what you’re looking for. Do you have a decent PC?

LexerX t1_ivyn54c wrote

I do have a pc and im not mainly a console gamer. I switch it up. If i want to play with my friends i play on the ps4. If im byself or with another group of friends i play on the pc

p68 t1_ivyndkr wrote

What are your PC’s specs

LexerX t1_ivyo2p4 wrote

Intel core i-7 3770k Gtx 970 16 gb ram Thats what i can remember(cant look at my specs rn) but it can run pretty demanding games. Not cryberpunk on max graphics but Ark with medium graphics

p68 t1_ivysmgh wrote

Your CPU would definitely hold you back on more ambitious PCVR games (e.g. Alyx, Skyrim). GPU is a little old, but you can compensate for that somewhat with settings/tweaks. Overall, I wouldn’t consider it PCVR-ready for the Quest 2 though.

That leaves considering the Quest 2 only as a stand alone device, which, to be fair, is how most people probably use it anyways.

AssistanceSoft7967 t1_iw1jft6 wrote

I'm a pretty big VR enthusiast, mostly for social VR and some games (really want to try Bonelab out) and am also wanting to start a career in VR development. I'm not sure if buying a set right now in general is a great idea.

Seems to me like newer and better sets like the Pico 3 Neo, Quest 3, PSVR2 etc. are right around the corner and it would be better to wait, not to mention the recent price hike with the Quest 2 making it a bit difficult to justify at this point in my opinion.

Some people are saying that VR can be a gimmick and you may not like it, I'd see if you can go somewhere to try it first. There's VR escape rooms and stuff like that in a lot of places, maybe try one of those first to see if you like it?

Hoping that Sony supports the PSVR2 more than the original PSVR but we wont really know until after it comes out.

AssistanceSoft7967 t1_iw1mk3l wrote

One more thing, if you wear glasses you'll need prescription lenses. I didn't know this when I first started with my set and I had to keep squinting to see anything at all.

I think this is an issue for people who are near sighted, if you're far sighted you might be fine but I'm not sure.
Or you can learn to wear contacts.