Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ZombieSlapper23 t1_j0j5bte wrote

If I wanted to get a PC that is at least as powerful as a Series X or PS5, how much would it be? (Not including keyboard/mouse)

crashdude_ t1_j0ni2gq wrote

Probably around 1000 to 1200 if you built it yourself, a few hundred more for a pre made one, if you were willing to find pre owned parts like 750-900 instead, then any cheap peripheral will work, an existing one you already have is free obviously. then over time you'd make up the difference by not paying for online and cheaper games, over the cost of 7 years (about how long it takes until new console) youd save about 700 dollars alone in just a subscription to play online, over the past 2 years youd have saved around 1500-2000 in free games from epic games, then ofcourse games being cheaper brings that down even more. Then after all those savings you get all the benefits i listed in my other comment, the only downsideds are entry cost and possible finding it hard to get up and running i suppose but id say the benefits outweigh the negatives hugely. From personal experience ive turned a few tech illiterate console friends into PC users and they all tell me it just isnt as hard as theyve been told, I also think using a PC is just so useful in general for day to day life and not knowing how to use one until you have to later at a job or something is probably annoying haha, hope this helps and if you are personally looking for recommendations ill give my two cents

ZombieSlapper23 t1_j0ohp58 wrote

I appreciate the feedback. I had built one in the past but sold it because I needed the money for something else at the time. However, I’m still a newbie and built one simply by following a YouTube video, not knowing exactly how everything worked. The biggest fear I have is upgrading everything after a few years and having to start from scratch due to a new GPU not being compatible with the motherboard and so forth. Does that happen?