Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ExHax t1_j93g58s wrote

Apparently some group of people thinks use of nuclear bomb is ethical (victim feels no pain). Scary to think that they might even vote for a nuclear war

Airballed t1_j93i9nf wrote

That's so stupid. Only the people right next to the blast don't feel anything, everybody else is fucked.

vincentx99 t1_j99i31p wrote

The book, The making of the nuclear bomb, talks of people walking in the streets with skin hanging from their face and arms. A gentleman holding his own eye. They talked of 100s of people running into the river due to severe burns only to die just moments later as they recovered from the shock.

People were permanently blinded, the hospital infrastructure was destroyed, so the many who were in severe pain could get no help. And of course there were the cases of accute radiation syndrome.

The Nuclear bomb is a terrible instrument of war. And of course, it's chief purpose is demoralizing the enemy, or to put it differently, killing civilians.

tkrr t1_j973bdk wrote

In this one case, given the failure of Allied precision bombing, the expected loss of life from the impending Operation Downfall, and the Japanese reluctance to accept unconditional surrender, it made sense. I don’t think there has ever or will ever be any other time in history where this will be the case.