Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

unapologeticlibtard t1_j7tbntr wrote

Is data beautiful when the y axis in the illustration isn’t labeled with a unit of measure? No. I don’t believe it is.

homeless_engi t1_j7td184 wrote

In India, 1 lakh = 100,000

goodluckonyourexams t1_j7w32b6 wrote

well, we're not in India

−2

ImAwfulAtNames1 t1_j7x44ey wrote

It’s Indian data…

goodluckonyourexams t1_j7xfo4f wrote

What's next? Using miles for US-American data?

−5

Qaziquza1 t1_j7xqzm6 wrote

Well, that is a common practice, albeit an annoying one.

goodluckonyourexams t1_j7xr8fi wrote

I've never looked at a data but I would've thought that that unit is used that the audience is familiar with.

−1

Qaziquza1 t1_j7xrjlq wrote

Well, I suppose the target audience hereof is Indians; ipso facto, it makes sense to use lakhs. Additionally, I'd argue most people are familiar enough with lakhs. I'm American, never been to India, and still am aware of them.

TheShreester t1_j8kum4p wrote

Regardless, if they're going to use "local" units they should make it clear what these are. Adding a key explaining that 1 lakh = 100,000 is all that's required. I appreciate this particular graph was probably produced for domestic use only, but the WWW means that once online, data can travel around the world.

TheShreester t1_j8kuyz2 wrote

Actually this is common and widespread problem with US multimedia, which still uses Imperial measurements, which is confusing for the rest of the world, most of whom have adopted Metric.

goodluckonyourexams t1_j8kx6uc wrote

"US multimedia", meaning target audiende US-Americans, not rest of the world

TheShreester t1_j8ky1gy wrote

If it's online then the potential audience includes the rest of the world, or at least any country with open Internet access. For example, there aren't many YouTubers with separate domestic and foreign YouTube channels.