Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

leftoverinspiration t1_j7yj0wh wrote

When a log-log scatter plot fails to reveal a correlation, you can always draw a nice blue line on it.

phdoofus t1_j7xqp7k wrote

A more interesting chart would be 'which language do you use' vs 'which language would you rather be using'. One of the national DOE labs computes something like this and the clear winner was Rust.

askLubich t1_j7zxher wrote

I'd have used actual logarithmic scales, because I don't think it's clear to everyone what you mean by "Logged".

That way one could directly read off numbers without having to guess which base you used. Depending on personal background, people would assume bases e, 10 or even 2.

Personally I find the regression line a bit pointless (what do we learn from it?) and I absolutely hate the grey shaded areas around it. Truth is, OP has no idea about the underlying distribution and the grey band fakes a level of sophistication that just isn't there.

whatweshouldcallyou OP t1_j7wbxwe wrote

Data Sources:

I collected membership numbers for the major subreddits for each programming language. TIOBE index is here: https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Tools:

R, ggplot

Note I logged both scales due to the distributions.

lyfemetre t1_j7wgz3u wrote

Very interesting, might be helpful to focus on learning the more popular languages