Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

restore_democracy t1_j93pguo wrote

Unless, in the process, it’s diverted for irrigation to grow alfalfa to ship to Saudi Arabia. Then it ends up over there.

Rob1150 t1_j93q5nj wrote

That's pretty impressive. How did you come across that??

Edmund-Dantes t1_j93qk4o wrote

I can save you a click…it’s ends up in something owned by Nestle.

Becalm443 t1_j9442cj wrote

How many of us typed Palestine, OH into the search bar straight away?

barrelvoyage410 t1_j94g75p wrote

It’s accurate to about 1/2 mile or so.

I live right on the subcontinent divide, have to go 1/2 mile over to get it to register going the other way.

chad-bro-chill-69420 t1_j94v4tw wrote

I find it amazing that you can drop a pin right near the great lakes and the water still tracks all the way South to the Gulf of Mexico instead of just 50 to 100 miles into one of the lakes then down the St Lawrence river into the Atlantic

​

edit: dug more into it and this is a cool map of the flow areas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_of_the_Americas#/media/File:NorthAmerica-WaterDivides.png

rededelk t1_j953qqw wrote

Triple Divide? An interesting place to pee

ac-loud t1_j95uez5 wrote

Anything similar for driving trip from say google maps?

CharlesEduardFromage t1_j95w9k0 wrote

I dropped a pin in Colorado and learned there’s a place along the Green River named Molly’s Nipple.

Took me down a rabbit hole where I learned an early pioneer to Utah named seven peaks, one butte, a well, a lake, and a ranch Molly’s Nipple to commemorate his wife’s nipples.

That’s a lot of nipples! This is the kind of stuff they should be teaching in geography.

Spare-Competition-91 t1_j96hplb wrote

This is one of the coolest things I've seen on the internet in a long time. It would be very helpful in many ways I bet to map out chemical spills and such if that got into a waterway. I'm learning about geography too. That's such a cool thing to do. Students in middle school should all be using this.

TrulyChxse t1_j972qfm wrote

Wow! This is very cool, thanks for sharing!

cocolocote t1_j98llu0 wrote

East Palestine, OH goes to the Ohio River and then the Mississippi. So fun!

bitslayer t1_j9h6daa wrote

Right, it was a mile or so to the headwaters of the creeks, and then all downhill from there. Back yard: Lullwater Creek>Peavine Creek>Peachtree Creek>Chattahoochee River>Apalachicola River>Gulf of Mexico
Across the street: Sugar Creek>South River>Ocmulgee River>Altamaha River>Atlantic Ocean