Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

kirbs2001 t1_j9bzsw0 wrote

are you counting audiobooks as books read?

also, what were your favorites. Fiction and non-fiction.

KenReid OP t1_j9c0ya1 wrote

Yes, I count listening to audiobooks as reading. I think some books are better suited to audio format, and others to text, but I think from the pedagogical studies on preferred learning styles (and the fact they're generally untrue) can be fairly applied to format of reading / listening, to an extent, too.

Favorite books: hard to say given so many good books out there. I'll mention the surprisingly enjoyable ones:

1. Stoner, by John Williams. Classic literature, fiction. "Literature reflects upon experiences of life; real or imagined. Stoner is as depressing as all life journey's are, filled with regrets, love, friendships, foes, growth, disappointment and eventually death. I feel this is a really important book for thanatophobes like myself, because it frames death with the perspective of a life lived. "
  2. Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, by Alfred Lansing. Nonfiction. "The most astounding account of the human spirit against impossible odds. My favourite book I've read this year, so far, by far."
  3. The Perks of being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky. Contemporary fiction. "I was expecting a pretentious waste of time. Not sure why, in retrospect. This is a beautiful story, touching and fills the reader with compassion."
  4. The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. Fantasy. "A masterful fantasy piece of writing. The only negative that must be mentioned is the lack of any female characters that are fully fleshed out. However, there was a great paragraph about the difficulties of being a working woman, the lack of opportunities and the dangers of a patriarchal society, which was insightful. I am told the next book improves with regard to representation of women, so I will continue on (without guilt)." (I read the next one, and it was excellent)
  5. Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman. Nonfiction, Psychology. "Fascinating and insightful, if a bit over explained at times. This model of conscious and unconscious decision making is an I'll formed concept natural to us all, but it's well defined here. Another must read for researchers."
  6. This is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor, by Adam Kay. Nonfiction, comedy. "Excellent, brutally honest with sharp humor. Bit gross but c'est la vie. Must read."

IIBatrixII t1_j9cq35x wrote

What is your ratio of reading/listening to books?

KenReid OP t1_j9crt15 wrote

Probably about 9:1 audiobooks : reading.

I save the philosophy and scientific books for reading, fiction, fantasy etc for audiobooks generally.

That being said, I've been enjoying lecture series recently on audio, but they're more discursive and less about formulae or code.