Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nitrolagy t1_j9p0427 wrote

Woah. The west side is so bumpy

ExecTankard t1_j9pu7hb wrote

It is…but when you stand in those ‘valleys’ and see the distance between the mountains you get how vast the US is.

MuffMagician t1_j9rikli wrote

Super cool map!

Where can I buy the fully textured map? (This picture is of a flat, 2D map)

overflowingsunset t1_j9rqld2 wrote

that would be awesome to have a textured map with rugged mountains and smooth valleys and shiny resin lakes

DoNotKnowJack t1_j9ryukr wrote

"We couldn't cross the mountains, so we stopped here" - state motto of Colorado

lemonpepsiking t1_j9s5c9z wrote

That's like a quarter of my city's economy. People just not wanting to go through more mountains for the day and staying in a hotel.

Gotta love Grand Junction.

glowdirt t1_j9sky3g wrote

"Maybe if we stop here, behind all these mountains, folks will stop harassing us for all the polygamy we're doing" - territorial motto of Utah

series_hybrid t1_j9uoq7c wrote

Bunch of weaklings, watch this! -Jimmie "I'll eat anything" Donner

Sir-Viette t1_j9r9u5w wrote

But only on the left side, yeah, that’s the crimped side.

DelcoScum t1_j9oxy4h wrote

Idk the roads make it a bit too difficult to appreciate the topography. It's just a bit busy.

ProjectSunlight t1_j9p2fk4 wrote

Yeah most of the city names aren't even legible.

daedalus_was_right t1_j9pl5n2 wrote

What do you mean? My eyes suck and I can read them zooming in on a phone. I think you need an optometrist

thanks4thecache t1_j9qku0p wrote

Love this topo, but it’s waaay to busy. Highways aren’t necessary and distracts from the point of showing off the topo.

ImAWizardYo t1_j9rn43c wrote

That's just OP's title. Looks like the creator made the entire piece as "cartographic art".

eudc t1_ja2ttld wrote

I actually like it. Roads are useful information about how busy / dense a place is and their location is influenced by topography.

ExecTankard t1_j9pujoo wrote

It shows the splits between Mountonia, Flatonia, Laketonia, Hilltonia, and Coastlinia

Cuentafast123 t1_j9rwj5r wrote

You see.. This is prove the earth is flat

gdmfr t1_j9snddo wrote

John Denver was not full of shit.

ArtistAmantiLisa t1_j9sntg5 wrote

Wow. That explains why so many other states feel flat to me.

series_hybrid t1_j9uogag wrote

When the Hudson River (New York) was connected to Lake Erie by cargo canals, it really opened up trade and made New York boom.

The Mississippi River is navigable all the way up to Minnesota, and St Louis is located where the Missouri River connects to the Mississippi.

LooksAtClouds t1_j9x0py1 wrote

Why does Houston have a big blank spot in the middle? It's the only city like this that I can see.