Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

100dylan99 t1_iscc9ug wrote

No, there aren't.

It seems you're Canadian from your profile. If that's the case, then you literally do not have a frame of reference or ability to even know what being poor in a poor nation is like. You live in a country with one of the highest standards of living in the world. If you're talking about the US, please -- just shut up.

You should find a source, or stop sharing such silly, ignorant, and offensive opinions. GDP is well known by economists to correlate extremely well with almost every positive metric. Is it perfect? No. Does it explain every possible thing? Not at all. Is it objective, relatively easy to measure, and highly correlative with postiive results on a global and historical scale? Yes. This is objectively true and is seen in just about every GDP regression done by people who know what they're doing.

Side note - GDP should almost always be logarithmic. Nominal GDP is not nearly as meaningful.

−5

Scottyknoweth t1_iscl49f wrote

I agree with most of what you say but would caution that just because they live in Canada doesn't mean they don't have a frame of reference. I live in the US and have spent a cumulative 3 years living in some of the poorest countries on the planet.

This has definitely opened my eyes to the plights of those in actual poverty.

I get where you are coming from in general, though, and agree that GDP/capita is a poor metric.

Clemenx00 t1_iscqac4 wrote

Sheltered 1st worlders here in Reddit love to parrot "muh inequality" to pretend they are poor at a global scale. Can't help but roll my eyes every time as someone from an actual poor country.

−4

josephbenitoadolf t1_iscuu7z wrote

People cant complain about inequality unless they're from a poor country? TIL ...

DoobieBrotherhood t1_isdeh4l wrote

Seems to be a common belief among the youngsters today that you can only have an opinion if you meet random conditions.