Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RecognitionOne395 t1_itul6yj wrote

We are fucked ... I would not want to see the earth in 50 years. I'll be in a grave by then.

caatingas t1_itun8du wrote

What is the reference source?

Tehbeefer t1_itvp9z3 wrote

Never been to Java, I didn't know there was that little forest there. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the population, but it looks pretty green via satellite...

Enfoting t1_itw07yu wrote

Borneo also have large forests not showing on this Reddit post.

Wellfooled t1_itxdeis wrote

Yeah, I appreciate the idea behind this-- deforestation is a serious problem, but I live right in the middle of a huge area of red on this map and there are forest as far as the eye can see as soon as you exit my city limits.

No_Bother_654 t1_itw22m4 wrote

Philippines is also pretty mountainous in many areas, not all of which are forested.

dasbootdasfoot t1_itw2vl6 wrote

Human beings really are a parasite to the earth and then we have morons (who despite the evidence) deny there's a climate change issue!

-Kaldore- t1_itwd77q wrote

Ya when I think of space I am convinced there's alien beings that are aware of earth. We are simply a planetary locust that Alien parents warn their kids about not to get too close because if we get on their cloths and taken back to their planets we will devour them with enough time also.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_itws499 wrote

I think there's a few Sci-Fi novels that take the idea that humanity is essentially the Orks in 40K, but IRL. Well, IRL in their novels. If that makes sense.

letsgomark t1_itx39m3 wrote

Bigger problem than climate change is too many people on this planet, or at least on parts of it, and definitely on Java and other parts of Indonesia.

Sure, some say there is enough food to feed all of us plenty, and there is, but at the cost of deforestation like this. And not enough resources for 11 billion people to live the lifestyle of Americans.

In my opinion we shouldn't chop down even one more tree, instead, give room for forests and its inhabitants to expand. If the remaining land isn't enough for humans to live, then we need less people. No murder needed, just population growth control.

dasbootdasfoot t1_ityiaru wrote

Too many people = parasitic behaviour. Consume and multiply till there's nothing left.

Solid_Owl t1_itvb1bw wrote

Mom needs to come in and swing the "Put it back!" bat.

spacefarmguy t1_itxgrvp wrote

data source? global forest change?

VaIeth t1_itxn4ae wrote

Too bad the people in power are retards instead of scientists. RIP humanity.

lo_fi_ho t1_ituhee2 wrote

Terrible. I hope the ones responsible will be brought to justice.

DudleysCar t1_itumoac wrote

The people with the power to stop it are the ones enabling it.

KER1S t1_itui3b3 wrote

Keep hoping then sadly.

Thorned_Rose t1_itwf1km wrote

Rather than hoping, stop buying products with palm oil. Stop demanding and they'll stop supplying.

I really wish people would get more proactive about consumption and purchases rather than continuing the behaviour and bemoaning how dad it is or how fucked we are. We don't need to be screwed, you just have to actually start doing.

justdoubleclick t1_ituktmg wrote

They are mostly palm oil billionaires with publicly listed palm oil companies…

Tehbeefer t1_itvntpo wrote

IIRC palm oil became more popular as countries banned partially hydrogenated soybean oil, which was a major source of dietary trans fats, which contributes to cardiovascular disease, i.e. the #1 cause of death outside of Africa.

Not saying that doesn't mean one of the most biodiverse regions in the world has been getting logged super heavily.

VALMaX1 t1_itvkvnx wrote

hmm...It is the same old news o deforestation and that we are going to be extinct.

Don't worry, humankind will save itself albeit we may not live.

Kindly-Scar-3224 t1_itvuqmd wrote

How did earth survive without humans and tech? Poor earth!

kenzokukoor t1_itw4oe8 wrote

this data is not beautiful

imacatnamedsteve t1_itwbwg6 wrote

The new Muse song comes to mind; “We are Fucking Fucked”

Iceeman7ll t1_ity5gm3 wrote

It’s like a game of Catan. All those countries had was wood.

HarizOne2e t1_ityfhus wrote

Deforestation is a big problem in Malaysia

Due to rampant developments everywhere

vizk0sity t1_ityth6l wrote

When you’re hungry, you’re less likely to worry about climate change and all the non-essentials stuff. This region had been really poor until recently. Wouldn’t be too surprise. Indonesia is also growing like crazy and needs needed to be met

Truthoverdogma t1_iubrbkm wrote

This is all thanks to the massive biofuel demand caused by climate change legislation in Europe and America.

Most of this land is being cleared for palm oil production. It is a horrific example of unintended consequences

I_speak_truth_only t1_itvw5w1 wrote

Why are asians destroying forests 😡🌡️

−8

azaghal1988 t1_itw9423 wrote

same reason everyone else is / was destroying forests: to free Land for agriculture

I_speak_truth_only t1_itw9eqg wrote

we doomed

azaghal1988 t1_itwavs8 wrote

Pretty much, if nothing changes. Our system is based on infinite growth, wich could only work if we had infinite resources at hand.