Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_it7gvhp wrote

[removed]

resumethrowaway222 t1_it7nwr2 wrote

I wouldn't even care if they just added the fees to the price that shows on the map. This would be so stupidly easy that they must be not doing it on purpose, and I just can't imagine why.

[deleted] t1_it8a5v6 wrote

[deleted]

−7

rgres001 t1_it9gre8 wrote

Don't seem slow on the Australian one where the government mandate makes them show the prices as they are. https://www.airbnb.com.au/

Think everywhere else should jump on that because the fees are ridiculous oh its only 200 a night good deal actually 400 with fees taxes and everything.

PortsFarmer t1_it8bs2c wrote

So the same software issue doesn't apply for countries where they are forced by law to not try to trick customers? Using any EU vpn they can't try and screw you.

[deleted] t1_it8c04r wrote

[removed]

pivantun t1_it9dyz2 wrote

From Berlin, does the map still show you just an average nightly rate? Or does it show you the full price for the entire stay?

(From the US, the map just shows an average nightly rate for me, but the listing shows the exact breakdown.)

pivantun t1_it9ds40 wrote

Can you elaborate a bit? What exactly is it that you see differently when you're in the EU?

stempio t1_it7qq55 wrote

cleaning fees are set by the hosts. since they don’t pay commission to airbnb on those, they usually tend to pump them up while lowering the per night price

[deleted] t1_it7u929 wrote

[removed]

stempio t1_it7z1w0 wrote

yea they should probably just charge commission on the total regardless of how it’s split, but i guess there’s some reason why they don’t do that

pivantun t1_it9c662 wrote

Actually cleaning fees are included in both the AirBnB host fee (commission) and guest fee calculation:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1857/airbnb-service-fees

stempio t1_it9ecc9 wrote

they weren’t a few years ago, doesn’t explain why they are still kept separated (unless it isn’t the same in every country, I can speak only for Italy)

pivantun t1_it9gj74 wrote

I can't speak for other hosts, but we have a cleaning fee because most guests stay for 2 nights, so it's unfair to the ones who stay longer to have a higher rate.

Luissmb t1_it8cbp1 wrote

I stopped using AirBNB for that reason. Spending a lot of time searching for a nice place that looks like it has a decent price to then realize it costs more than a hotel stay after adding all the fees.

vacri t1_itb6nr5 wrote

I was looking for a place in Berlin and found one with a cleaning fee of 250 euro if you didn't fully spring clean the place yourself at the end. Owner responding to poor reviews "well the company sends a team of six for a minimum of four hours and I can't get them to do less than that", sourced from the Tome of Implausible Excuses.

Same owner also tracked electricity usage and charged someone 50 euro for occasionally using the inbuilt washing machine. Complaint in review lead to a paragraphs-long diatribe on the cost of German electricity.

​

Yeah, I'm going to book a hotel.

Luissmb t1_itcjuxh wrote

If for some reason they tracked the electricity and they charge you, do you need to pay for that as well? Would't that come in the expenses that you already payed?

uns0licited_advice t1_it9qmby wrote

Yeah they should just ban cleaning fees and force people to include it in their rental costs

pivantun t1_it9g8kx wrote

>People would be so much happier to pay $120/night for 4 nights than $100 + $80 cleaning fee

That calculation works for 4 nights. But what if the vast majority of your guests stay for 2 nights, and only some stay for longer?

The nightly fee would be $140 to cover the cost of cleaning, so a 2-night stay would end up being $280.

The problem then is that a 4-night stay would be $560, instead of the $480 it would have been with a separate cleaning fee.