Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ar243 t1_iunz33v wrote

"Of the 6,205 pedestrian traffic fatalities, 181 (3%) were children in 2019." - NHTSA

181 annual child deaths in a country of 330,000,000 people is not "so many kids". That's 0.00005% in case you want a percentage.

140 children die each year from choking, should we get rid of every single thing that could cause choking too? Because the death of even one child is one too many, right?

−1

Verynearlydearlydone t1_iuo4mzt wrote

You’re acting like this isn’t the very top cause of death in children. At least until guns really stepped up their game last year.

matthewtheninja t1_iuo6qd6 wrote

Technically the majority of children killed in traffic accidents are the occupants of those vehicles, but the cause is ultimately still our car dependent society.

schorschico t1_iuogpmw wrote

I don't know about you but I have had to walk by the pediatric cancer section in one of the city hospitals and I wish I didn't have to do it ever again. It's devastating. I never think "Hey, it's not that bad. The percentage is almost zero".

Car crashes are the FIRST cause if death for kids (not just as pedestrians, but as a consequence of a car oriented society we live in). More than cancer. Allow me to at least feel like shit about that fact.

RufusLaButte t1_iuug7pd wrote

My older sister was one of those "181" in 1993. It matters.