Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rodolphoteardrop t1_iuqwqw3 wrote

If you're getting your music from the Billboard top 10 then you're lazy and the problem is you. Part of the reason the world is shit is that people just accept what's given to them....like the Billboard top 10. Search out music you like rather than passively listening to the radio.

drillgorg t1_iur2ix3 wrote

Popular music bad!

rodolphoteardrop t1_iurndzw wrote

I was once stuck in at a job in an office that had the radio on. In the space of 2 hours I heard the same song 4 times. Twice an hour. Do you know how "popular music" becomes popular? (Hint: it's got very little to do with whether is a decent song or not.)

I'm not going to apologize for actually listening to music than putting it on in the background and ignoring it. The music industry isn't about music. It's about profits.

There was an article awhile back about Sufjan Stevens. They did a focus group and found that the vast majority of random people liked his songs. Even with that, he couldn't get industry backing.

Look. I get it. You want your choices made for you. You'll like what you're told to like. Good for you. The fact is that there is a ton of amazing music that people will never know about because the monopolies that run radio won't play it.

−2

drillgorg t1_iurnu7h wrote

I mean I mostly listen to video game dubstep remixes on YouTube.

Howboutit85 t1_iurznjc wrote

Sorry you’re getting down voted but yeah. This.

If you like top 10 stuff then great, but there’s a whole world of music out there not on the radio that is great, you just need to dig beneath the very top layer of culture.

Jausti0418 t1_iurel21 wrote

How did you possible get that from my comment lmao. What a fucking stretch

−1

rodolphoteardrop t1_iurkg8n wrote

>Makes sense, the world’s going to shit

That sounds a lot like "old man yells at cloud." So I made the assumption that if you the music is part of "the world going to shit" you must be listening to it...or just making your own assumption about music.

Jausti0418 t1_iutrb04 wrote

Again how the fuck is that what you got? The world is going to shit ergo popular music is also going to be depressing because it’s relatable and that’s what makes it popular you dunce