Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

DrSquirrelBoy12 t1_ivwfjrn wrote

>I would argue giving more representation to cities with populations larger than whole state is proportional representation working.

Cities should not dictate laws to the countryside and vice versa. This is why we are supposed to have a decentralized system of government.

Your primary law making should happen at a local level. Larger issues go to the states, issues yet larger go to the nation.

Pure democracy is just tyranny of the majority.

People should care more about their local elections than whatever dufus from either rival gang that just wants to extort and scam you while blaming the other gang is in the white house.

Talzon70 t1_ivwlkmu wrote

>Cities should not dictate laws to the countryside and vice versa.

Again with the should. I simply disagree. Laws are about people, not geography.

>This is why we are supposed to have a decentralized system of government.

Stupid irrelevant argument. You don't need an unrepresentative political system to have decentralized political power. The US system is both decentralized and unrepresentative. You can easily keep it decentralized while making it more representative.

>Your primary law making should happen at a local level. Larger issues go to the states, issues yet larger go to the nation.

I don't like the way you worded the first sentence but I largely agree. The largest, most democratically legitimate body should set laws that can be widely agreed upon then delegate other decisions to smaller, more local, governments.

>Pure democracy is just tyranny of the majority.

What does that even mean? Define pure democracy.

>People should care more about their local elections than whatever dufus from either rival gang that just wants to extort and scam you while blaming the other gang is in the white house.

Depends on the issues they care about. Local governments matter a lot, but it's federal and state governments that make the majority of decisions on major issues like criminal justice, major taxes, environment regulations, broad economic, military, and foreign policy, and basic civil rights. If the most important elections in your life are local elections, you are probably a super privileged person.

−2

DrSquirrelBoy12 t1_ivx1fq6 wrote

>I simply disagree. Laws are about people

I don't think the people in NYC would like their laws decided by the people of Appalachia and vice versa. You realize people live on land right?

>Define pure democracy.

Laws or the president decided by a popular vote would be an example.

I also think the Senate should go back to how the founders intended it with senators appointed by state legislatures.

The House is meant to represent people at the federal level. The Senate is meant to represent each state, and the president is meant to be elected by the states as is the case with the electoral college.

>criminal justice, major taxes, environment regulations, broad economic, military, and foreign policy, and basic civil rights.

Most of these should be handled at most at the state level.
Criminal Justice is mostly a state and local DA level issue.
Taxes are complicated but a higher proportion should be at a local level.
Environmental regulations should only be national where it has a direct impact on another state (ex, MN can't pollute the Mississippi river because that pollution impacts other states).
States should primarily control their economies (to the extent states want to control the economy) with the Feds primarily existing to ensure trade between the states and settle disputes.
Feds should handle the military (sans National Guard units at the state level) and foreign affairs as a representative of the states. This is why states vote for POTUS and Senate, not people (popular vote).
Basic civil rights as in the constitution exist at the federal level. Any other "right" should be at the state level unless it becomes a new amendment to the constitution.

>If the most important elections in your life are local elections, you are probably a super privileged person.

This wasn't a subjective judgement, rather it is an observation of fact that local elections have a more tangible impact on everyone than federal elections. If this isn't the case then something is terribly wrong.

Talzon70 t1_ivx2tz8 wrote

I disagree on most of your opinions. Also many of your "facts" are wrong.

−1