Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Flaifel7 t1_ixl3gyx wrote

Plus, the Qatari population is tiny. This graph is per capita which is incredibly misleading.

−11

Sol3dweller t1_ixl5hqh wrote

Why should a tiny minority be granted the luxury of having excessive carbon emissions? (This doesn't only apply to Qatari but all "rich" people with high carbon emissions.)

Per-capita emissions aren't misleading, at least if your aim is a just society based on equal rights.

Flaifel7 t1_ixl5m8f wrote

It’s universal that the richer you are the higher your carbon footprint. Including rich people from USA or any other country. Now qatar is one of the richest nations per capita and so it would make sense their emissions would match that. What’s so confusing?

−3

alexjones85 OP t1_ixl78ca wrote

Not necessarily Sweden, Singapore, and France all enjoy some of the highest standards of living and GDP per capita but don't have anywhere near the same levels of carbon emissions. My own own home country of Australia is not far away from Qatar. It is almost triple those other nations but still less than half the Qatar emissions.

Flashwastaken t1_ixlsmmg wrote

I don’t understand your argument. Do you think that if you’re rich, you should be allowed to fuck the planet more?

Sol3dweller t1_ixl6u9i wrote

It's not confusing at all. I am pointing out that the metric of per-capita emissions is not misleading, but rather instructive. Highlighting that the rich with this high carbon emissions are far from sustainability.

Also, it is not a necessity that richer people have a higher carbon footprint. Compare Switzerland and Trinidad and Tobago, for example.