Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BurnTheOrange t1_iw9x1cl wrote

The first john wick was incredible for doing so much with a low budget (especially for a stunt-heavy action movie).

kindred_asura t1_iwb690z wrote

The first one is still my favorite.

The two next especially the third one went too far into weird shit and "rules", and "adjudicators" and crap. The 4th one looks even worse.

I wish they can go back to their roots for the 5th one, just a simple story.

dc456 t1_iwbd835 wrote

This chart has just starkly illustrated to me why movies that I like are increasingly hard to find. The wider public clearly significantly prefer the type of movie that I really don’t like, or at least are willing to spend more money to see them.

I’m not saying that they or I have better taste, just that the studios are obviously going to cater to the group that brings in more money, and unfortunately I’m not part of it.

AdlPadl970 t1_iwbte16 wrote

Possibly. Another way to look at it is the first movie drew in attention and more people to watch the second one. Then by the time the 3rd one came out there are all those people that have seen or heard about the first 2 movies.

Like I bet in 1983, a few months before Return of the Jedi came out, there was a lot more hype for star wars then a few months before A new Hope in 1977.

dc456 t1_iwc4i0u wrote

But Return of the Jedi did worse at the box office.

Juanito817 t1_iwba0m6 wrote

To be able to create more with less money was what created a legend. I actually liked the first one more than the second and third.

petesapai t1_iwbiyb6 wrote

I didn't get the whole going to the desert to find forgiveness(?) thing in #3. That part was just weird.

But like most people, I just look at it as a fun action movie and ignore the silly parts.