Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Oscar_Cunningham t1_iwyhhv7 wrote

It depends what colour mixing model you use. With paint it's true that yellow and blue mix to make green, but with light they instead make white (and your problem would instead be red and green mixing to make yellow). I was thinking of the Natural Color System in which red and green are opposed and yellow and blue are opposed.

I suppose the other solution would be to use lightness as well as hue. For example each mixture of the four emotions would correspond to a mixture of red, green, blue and white.

Campbell_MG OP t1_iwyi01q wrote

This is exactly how it works. Each emotion is layered on top of one another with the opacity driven by the likelihood of the emotion from the ML model.

I tried a few different colours but this ended up being the most distinct I could find.

While red and blue mixed won't be helping, the model definitely seems to lean towards fear. If you look at the raw numbers fear seems to show up the most.

luke_in_the_sky t1_iwyu9fs wrote

Well, it's weird because sadness+anger layered on top of one another will appear as fear.

Maybe, instead of bars, you could use a grid with colored squares and a good resolution, so they don't get mixed.

mez1642 t1_iwyz8rh wrote

And opaqueness could indicate intensity. Each grid could be a page, but always scaled to a fixed maximum with so the barcodes are always 2 inches wide by 1 inch tall at 300 dpi (or insert your dimensions here)

legbreaker t1_iwz0lhe wrote

How about using black for fear and white for neutral pages. Breaks the colors up

viridiformica t1_iwz408d wrote

Doesn't that mean that whichever layer is added last will dominate?

I'd quite like to see this as a stream graph, maybe using a rolling average. Is the data available somewhere?

TheThiefMaster t1_iwypv5q wrote

For what it's worth - it's two different blues!

The positive primary (light) is "royal blue", and the negative primary (paint, ink) is "sky" blue.

Children's paint sets regularly get this wrong...

Lightning_Lance t1_ix2u5qz wrote

Modern paints use magenta for "red" and Cyan for "blue". So it's literally just inverted RGB, using the secondary colors instead of the primary (of course, language is malleable and so they just call those the primary colors in paint... But it's the secondary colors of RGB).

[deleted] t1_iwyszwo wrote

[deleted]

Oscar_Cunningham t1_iwytz9p wrote

To me that mixture does look almost grey. But changing the exact choice of yellow and blue will change exactly what mixture they make. In any case it's much closer to grey than a 'primary' green would be.