Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MrMelodica OP t1_iyzvpos wrote

The visualization was fully done in Excel, and is based on my own data, built from information on the books that I read in 2022.

fiddlers_Gr33n t1_iyzxr0h wrote

Are you reading in English, French and Portuguese? Where in the world are you and how do you get books?

MrMelodica OP t1_iz0dqdz wrote

I'm from Portugal, so Portuguese is my mother tongue. I've been learning English since I can remember so it's very natural for me. I started learning French seriously a couple of years ago, so nowadays I can also read it comfortably. Actually, I had the original objective of reading 12 books in French this year, and I'm quite proud to say I managed to go beyond that.

I get my books mainly from Amazon (English and French) and BookDepository (English), since they basically have everything in stock at all times. For Portuguese, I'll just go to a bookstore in the city where I live.

fiddlers_Gr33n t1_iz2mgw3 wrote

My Portuguese has been steadily getting rustier and rustier during the last 10 years because my exposure dropped to 0, but I used to be fluent. I live in Latin America, and though Brazil is pretty close, if I want books I have to have them shipped to the US and back down to me. Books in English and Spanish are pretty easy to get, although some good Spanish speaking authors from the other side of the continent (like Argentina, for example) are easier to find in the US than here (in the Andes).

PS. I really like your reading choices! Solid mix of sci fi and lit fic, which is pretty much my taste as well!

MrMelodica OP t1_iz4cj58 wrote

That's a big bummer... I'm lucky that the Amazon from Spain carries a lot of French books, otherwise, I'd be in a similar situation. I'd love to learn Spanish at a certain point, but for now, I want to keep improving my French!

I usually stick to more "literary" works, but I read a lot of sci fi this year. I wanted to get a good overview of the genre by reading a lot of the classics. The fact there's a collection like the "S.F. Masterworks" really helped in the process, a lot of the filtering was already done. I really recommend you check their books, if you're interested in the genre.

fiddlers_Gr33n t1_iz4hzd6 wrote

I'm planning to move to Europe in a few years, so that problem will be solved!

I'll definitely checkout the S.F Masterworks!

Ps. congrats on reading twice as many books in French as you set out to read. I know what an accomplishment that is in a language you're still working to nail down!

moanassumption t1_iz002sl wrote

Impressive. My goal is 5 books lol. You read on average a book every 5 days?

MrMelodica OP t1_iz0ef8w wrote

It varies, based on my mental availability and the size of the book. For example, the longest book I read this year was "The Rest is Noise" by Alex Ross, about 800 pages, took me about one month, because I was reading other stuff at the same time, and because it's one of those books you need to slowly absorb. On the other hand, I can read a 200 page book in a day, although that's not what I usually do.

renna2 t1_iz14yk0 wrote

I thought about doing something similar at the end of the year! I’m at 64 of my goal of 70

MrMelodica OP t1_iz1xyy6 wrote

That's great! You should share your visualization too.

kimjobil05 t1_iz0ns8y wrote

A huge Kafka fan ? Awesome visualization... I'll save it and try to do something similar at the end of the year...

MrMelodica OP t1_iz149on wrote

Yeah, Kafka's one of the greats. Sometime during the summer, I decided to read The Castle. Then I thought that I should (re-)read all of his fiction. I'll probably need to re-read The Castle at some point though...

Happy that my visualization inspired you. I'd like to see what you can come up with!

kimjobil05 t1_iz1ba32 wrote

Ive only read the trial and the metamorphosis. Adding the castle to my 2023 list immediately!

He's such a thought provoking writer.

I'm going to post my visualization here too. Did you put all the charts on one page and then screen grab it?

MrMelodica OP t1_iz1xis9 wrote

All three of his novels are great. I laughed out loud several times while reading Amerika, because the humor, while strange, is very sharp.

I followed a simple process for making the vizualization. I had all the information about the books that I read on one Excel sheet. This was: book name, author, publishing year, publisher, language, number of pages. I would update this sheet regularly as the year passed. Then, I had one sheet where all the data was aggregated. Finally, on a third sheet, I built all the graphs and summaries mostly based on the aggregated data. I then just took a screenshot of that sheet.

lnxslck t1_iz0pao0 wrote

awesome. i have a similar thing but it’s simpler and made on grafana with a sqlite db. over 70 books in 1 year is impressive. i’m trying to do 1 per month 😄

MrMelodica OP t1_iz14c9u wrote

I'd like to see your viz! Can you share it?

[deleted] t1_iz1x3w0 wrote

[removed]

lnxslck t1_iz1x6wp wrote

i just began so there’s a lot of books that i still need to register. also i will build some more dashboards

G_Comstock t1_iz1d3lm wrote

Very cool. In this context does contemporary fiction mean the same as historical fiction?

MrMelodica OP t1_iz1xwus wrote

My labels for "fiction" are quite loose, and not rigorous at all. By "historical fiction", I generally mean novels published before 1900. "Modern fiction" generally refers to novels published between 1900 and 2000, and "Contemporary fiction", is anything after 2000.

fiddlers_Gr33n t1_iz2n67f wrote

So what's on your reading list for next year?

MrMelodica OP t1_iz4d3pi wrote

I usually don't have a "reading list" for much longer than a couple of weeks, just a pile of "to read" books, and it shifts a lot depending on my mood.

Still, for next year, my plan is to get to know European literature a bit better. So, what I want to do is read at least one book from an author of each country in the European continent, published after 1900. I'm currently identifying the potential books, and suffice it to say, it's easier to find books for some countries than others...

TotalActualization t1_iz2ybs9 wrote

Good job! For the "per country" and "per publisher" diagrams, did you create those with external tools and add them to your Excel file? I recognize the other diagrams as Excel built-in types.

MrMelodica OP t1_iz4cp7g wrote

Everything was done with the visualizations that are already built in Excel. For the per country, I used the "Maps" graph, and for the per publisher I used the "Treemap" graph. Then it was a bit of tinkering to get the visualizations to look like I wanted them to.

liovantirealm7177 t1_iz40lrh wrote

Hi, I'm interested in doing something similar next year. What did you use to visualise this? Excel?

MrMelodica OP t1_iz4crsd wrote

It was fully done in Excel, yes. I explained how I did it in another response, which I post below:

I followed a simple process for making the vizualization. I had all the information about the books that I read on one Excel sheet. This was: book name, author, publishing year, publisher, language, number of pages. I would update this sheet regularly as the year passed. Then, I had one sheet where all the data was aggregated. Finally, on a third sheet, I built all the graphs and summaries mostly based on the aggregated data. I then just took a screenshot of that sheet.

Karnex97 t1_izsmkyn wrote

Wow and I couldn't even keep my goal of 26 books (1 book per 2 week on average) You read about 70 pages a day, that's 2 hours per day. Do you work full time? If yes, how do you find motivation and time to read that much? I would need to make big sacrifices in my free time to achieve that.

MrMelodica OP t1_izt3dns wrote

I'm a PhD student. Although my field is not literature, this still means that I also read (and write!) a lot during my "full-time day job".

Like I responded to another comment, my reading rhythm varies significantly from one day to the other, I may read 20 or 200 pages in a day, and it depends heavily on the book itself as well. The motivation just comes from the pleasure I take from reading, and as a kind of "palliative" after reading more technical stuff in my work. Very few of the books that I read for pleasure are related to my field of study. Also, I'm curious about many different subjects outside my PhD, which helps in keeping it interesting.

About finding the time... That's a question I get a lot. The thing is, I don't watch much TV, I don't watch Netflix, and I don't have an Instagram or TikTok account. Instead, I use that time for reading and other things I enjoy, like reading (but also, for example, some video games). I'm not boasting at all about this, it's just a choice that I make, just like it's anyone's choice what they do with their free time.