Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Lord_of_the_Canals t1_j2cewzw wrote

I’d appreciate a more upfront legend, otherwise I like it! Crazy to think about purely by pop up with Hong Kong at 7mil and Indianapolis at 800K..

thexylom OP t1_j2cf9rs wrote

Will do better next time! Yes, it's insane that HKG was the 8th largest passenger airport in 2018, and then it just shrunk to something barely resembling a mid-sized regional airport

svjersey t1_j2d2w14 wrote

Wonder what they are doing with that massive airport of theirs. Been through it a few times pre covid and it was always fun walking around it waiting for your connection.

thexylom OP t1_j2d4txr wrote

Been back there a few times since COVID, it's... Not holding up well

DoBestWifWtGodGivesU t1_j2e7ooz wrote

Was there in October, all the shops including restaurants were closed indefinitely inside the departure area, hope things will goes back to normal soon!

TinKicker t1_j2d9jsc wrote

Don’t forget the HKG is the central hub of two regional airlines and a major international airline (Cathay Pacific).

While IND is home to a Delta Air Lines regional affiliate (Republic), it doesn’t serve as a hub to the flight operations, but merely the corporate headquarters.

How Cathay Pacific is surviving today is a total mystery to me.

Clishlaw t1_j2dcfl4 wrote

Cathay survives cause they are owned by SwireAlso they basically Monopolized the Air Cargo Biz throughout covid into HK. If companies are using their planes for Air Cargo; they still own the Cargo Terminal that processes everything entering and exiting. As well as owning the maintenance company; where a lot of airlines outside HK fly over to do their work.

On top of all the cost cutting they did to their staff; including, but not limited to, closing Dragonair outright. Most employees found out their company disappeared when they couldn't get into the building.

Daniero1994 t1_j2dkwf6 wrote

Which would make both airports transport ~50% of city's population pre COVID.