Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jaded_Prompt_15 t1_j2n84m6 wrote

If a Y axis doesn't start at zero, the graph is useless...

Especially when you're not even labeling your units

−17

ColdHardRice t1_j2nbpkh wrote

Units are labeled in the bottom graph

Jaded_Prompt_15 t1_j2nfu88 wrote

On a separate graph...

−8

pipboyover9000 t1_j2nx2d6 wrote

Just so you are aware, graphs do not need to start at zero. There is no magic rule that states this need be the case for a graph to be useful.

You use relative axes all the time so that it is possible to see small variations in data that would be otherwise impossible if you scaled it so that the graph axes have zeros

The issue is that not having a zero correctly scaled can be misleading but with the data points being labeled in the first graph, only an idiot would assume that the bottom line is a zero

Jaded_Prompt_15 t1_j2nxu4l wrote

> There is no magic rule that states this need be the case for a graph to be useful.

You didn't have to tell everyone you never took a statistical analysis class...

>only an idiot would assume that the bottom line is a zero

You don't even know what's wrong, if you weren't acting like this I would have taught you something.

−9

pipboyover9000 t1_j2nzx3d wrote

Don’t worry mate, your “lesson” would have been filled with dogshit and I’m glad to have been spared that crap.

And I can tell you barely passed the high school level stats class that you snoozed through as well.

Engineers graph these processes exactly like this and I had no issue reading his work

pipboyover9000 t1_j2o0wu8 wrote

We get it, you dislike the criticism of your comment and it goes without saying. You downvoting it is too funny honestly

ColdHardRice t1_j2nim2v wrote

Which was produced from the bottom graph. There probably should be units for clarity, but even without it’s pretty clear what the units are.