Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

sixhobbits OP t1_j2s45pd wrote

South Africa has had power shortages for over a decade. "Loadshedding" is when there isn't enough power and we have rotating blackouts to prevent a grid collapse. This is done by stage, with the higher the stage, the more power has to be 'shed'. This sheet contains data going back to 2015 for each time the stage of loadshedding was changed.

I used Pandas and CalMap to plot the highest stage of each day, and Excalidraw to layout the descriptive text and legend etc.

This is an update of a previous post I did here.

cred_it t1_j2up2cg wrote

I was thinking about visiting next month for a few weeks, should I reconsider?

Eastofdark t1_j2vwudd wrote

You will be fine. Hotels and Air bnbs usually have generators or inverters. Check that yours does. Just be cautious when you drive around (valuables in the boot, pay attention) and avoid lonely places.

GoldExchange5655 t1_j2viua4 wrote

Go to a tourist town they will always have power and everything as that’s the real money maker also consider waiting for anything bad to happen like a killing or something similar that makes headlines. Cheaper flights and extra security

middelsvenson t1_j2u7n5s wrote

What about water? There’s a shortage too right??

peterler0ux t1_j2vbkwz wrote

The water shortages were far more localized, and are a thing of the past for the moment (most of the country is prone to long term drought cycles)