Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ghostmastergeneral t1_j3a8dnn wrote

What does it even mean to compare market cap to GDP?

hiccupseed t1_j3a9po1 wrote

Even odder, comparing a flow to a stock. Come on now...

wombatlegs t1_j3c5k83 wrote

Is that the same as saying the numbers have different units?

One is dollars, the other is dollars per year, and the time length is somewhat arbitrary. Market cap is not even real money.

PolemicFox t1_j3aa6t1 wrote

Nothing, it's just numbers vs numbers

/r/dataisboring

Arowhite t1_j3bs36g wrote

The number of baryons in my body envelope is bigger than Apple's market cap. Therefore, me greater

newpua_bie t1_j3ag58v wrote

It means OP doesn't understand basics of economy and just likes to compare random numbers to each other.

Amity83 t1_j3anyzt wrote

This sub is increasingly becoming r/dataisnotbeautiful

BrupieD t1_j3c92kh wrote

"All models are wrong but some are useful" --George E.P. Box.

Some of the data visualized here might be technically correct but are utterly useless.

dolledaan t1_j3bewfc wrote

One is a teoretical value and the other is true money that goes round in a economy on the yearly basis.

avl0 t1_j3c9lng wrote

Literally nothing, but let's do it anyway.

​

I mean, revenue to GDP would be meaningless enough

CMastication t1_j4avi00 wrote

I think annual revenue to GDP would be much more meaningful. They are at least both annual flows of product.

aknabi t1_j3bl8eh wrote

But numbers, capitalism bad… take money from these folks and give it to me to pursue my dream of performative basket weaving which will change humanity.

twitchyeye84 t1_j3a9s5g wrote

I think it means rich people are rich and poor people are poor. See the chart? The rich people put their money in apple stock, while even all these poor countries put together couldn't come up with enough money to buy as much apple stock as the rich people have.

If you think about it though, say they did try to somehow harness the entire GDP and pump it into apple. It would just help the rich who already own the stock become even richer!

Yeah it means nothing.

−30

EisenAlchemist t1_j3ace5q wrote

It means that apple provides more valuable services to the rest of the world than those countries

−30

rubenbmathisen OP t1_j3agata wrote

I’m not sure what you mean by «mean». The comparison is simply one way of putting Apple’s market cap into a bigger perspective.

−85

RD__III t1_j3ahdml wrote

Market cap isn’t the equivalent of a corporations “GDP”. The appropriate comparison would be to compare gross revenue to GDP.

Eric1491625 t1_j3ajdes wrote

Even that is too much. You need to compare a company's Economic Value Added to GDP, not all revenues.

If a country imports $200 of components to assemble a $300 Apple product it generates only $100 of GDP. But from Apple's perspective, if Apple imports $200 of components to sell a $300 product it generates the full $300 as revenue (but only $100 of EVA, which would be the correct comparison).

rubenbmathisen OP t1_j3aliyf wrote

The comparison in the graph simply says that Apple’s market cap is approximately equivalent to the value of what 110 countries produce in a year. Nothing more, nothing less. There are certainly other interesting comparison one could make, but they dont undermine that fact.

−64

RD__III t1_j3anh4a wrote

Yes. I can read English. why do you compare the market cap to GDP. Why don’t you compare the value of what apple produces in a year to these other countries? That would make sense for a comparison. Market Cap to GDP doesn’t make sense.

To better phrase it, a monkey can throw two numbers on a bar chart. What makes your data beautiful compared to a monkeys?

[deleted] t1_j3as4x8 wrote

[deleted]

−34

dadarknight07 t1_j3bdfej wrote

That’s just it. It DOESNT show how massive apples market cap is via a comparison for perspective because the comparison is invalid.

It just shows apples market cap and then a separate number next to it. No perspectives obtained from a comparison.

[deleted] t1_j3ckuok wrote

[deleted]

−1

dadarknight07 t1_j3d897c wrote

Worth (stock) and income (flow) are two different categories of measurement. It doesn’t make sense to compare one of those of one entity with the other of those of an entirely different entity. It’s non sequitur.

Your example is more valid as a comparison as net income and revenue are both in the flow category of measurement.

OPs example is like comparing the total incomes of a neighborhood in LA with the total enterprise value of all the McDonald’s in Ecuador. You can put them next to each other in a chart. But doesn’t really make sense.

[deleted] t1_j3baql4 wrote

Next you might as well compare the number of iPhones manufactured to the GDP of these countries.

bosssx t1_j3bijle wrote

You labeled the chart and they still don't want to read.

I wonder if some on told them it would take 5 years of their income to buy a sports car. They would say that "income and cars are different you can't compare the two"

−8

homerjdimpson t1_j3bzgtk wrote

Isn’t the purpose of visual data to make it more easily understandable for valid comparisons? This is like Purdue pharma showing logarithmic data and saying, you labeled it and they still don’t wanna read.

Depending on OPs intended conclusions it’s sort of misinformation or manipulation.

rubenbmathisen OP t1_j3bjv8u wrote

Exactly. There is no rule that says you cant compare a flow to a stock (as many here seem to believe). Its freqently done in economics, and in general it can be quite helpful to understand the size of the stock (as with your sports car example).

−5

Psychological-Ice361 t1_j3aaoxc wrote

You’re comparing two completely different metrics. More relevant would be comparing Apples operating income to GDP. Apples operating income for 2022 was ~$120B, which is a little more than the GDP of Sudan.

Eric1491625 t1_j3ai844 wrote

>More relevant would be comparing Apples operating income to GDP.

EVA should be a better measure. Operating income isn't really a good comparison - for example it excludes worker salaries, while GDP includes them.

Hazzawoof t1_j3aaosz wrote

A bit odd to compare gdp to market cap. A more useful comparison would be total wealth vs market cap or gdp vs earnings. Apple's earnings were a touch under $100b over the last 12 months. That equates to the bottom 41-45 countries based on OP's data.

PalpitationFine t1_j3ae8pa wrote

And this guy says he's going for a PhD lmao

newpua_bie t1_j3agmga wrote

As someone who worked as a professor for 6 years, I'm not surprised (though I sincerely hope it's not in econ). Many PhD students are dumb as rocks. After you get in it's very hard not to graduate. Sure, they make you jump through various hoops but in the end it's mostly just for show and you get your degree in the end.

gunfell t1_j3d59mv wrote

Um, what? Maybe in whatever field u work in.

Try that shit in a serious field that is not a degree mill and you will be done immediately

newpua_bie t1_j4h5ddb wrote

Lol. I worked as a physicist at an extremely well-known university on the East Coast that I'm sure is ranked higher than wherever you graduated from.

gunfell t1_j4iy6wc wrote

"The Council of Graduate Schools produced a study on the PhD completion and attrition. The study looked at 49,000 students attending 30 institutions in 54 disciplines comprising 330 programs. Astonishingly, the completion rate ten years after students begin their doctoral program remains low at 56.6%."

even when accounting for external factors that could lower that number, it is pretty low.

but you say

"Many PhD students are dumb as rocks. After you get in it's very hard not to graduate."

your school is ranked higher in what? nonsense?

what you're saying doesn't add up. so i am just going to go with the reasonable path of ignoring you.

bostonhockey_80 t1_j3bucuj wrote

No real world feedback on your thinking for a decade will lead to posts lose this

−2

LeleoSilva t1_j3b66lc wrote

Nah, we should take Apple and distribute the money to these countries.

Rs_Spacers t1_j3c7i1a wrote

Should be comparing revenue to GDP, instead of earnings. Revenue for Apple was about 400B over the past year.

otaku_nazi t1_j3aqpjy wrote

I have 2 legs

Apple has zero

Hence I am better than apple.

Do most people even know what GDP even means

nikolatosic t1_j3b2u27 wrote

It makes zero sense to compare these two metrics because

Market cap is not GDP

Companies are not countries

This is like saying a car is faster than a banana

acvdk t1_j3d2t95 wrote

If the banana is in the car they go the same speed.

tankthestank t1_j3am2dj wrote

I came here to dunk on a meaningless comparison, but y'all have it covered already.

​

Anyways, here's a fun fact... did you know if you weigh all the pigeons in New York at once they weigh more than they all eat in a day?

911memeslol t1_j3a9g3u wrote

Fun fact; the richest guy on earth is richer than the poorest guy on earth!!!!!!1!1!1!1!1!1!

wyseguy7 t1_j3amcek wrote

Market cap and GDP are not the same concept. Market cap is a “stock” measurement, representing lifetime value, whereas GDP is a “flow” sort of measurement, representing annual value.

DrinkinDoughnuts t1_j3b9twj wrote

This is a very odd comparison. It's similar to compare someone's net worth to someone else's yearly salary, doesn't really make sense. One is accumulated wealth over time, the other is how much they make in given year.

dml997 t1_j3ckjby wrote

Dishonest comparison. GDP is annual. Cap is total value. You cannot compare the two. If you are at all honest, compare GDP to annual revenue, or total value of countries assets to market cap.

dadarknight07 t1_j3bd7oq wrote

New bar chart idea

Number of laughs from reading comments dunking on the ludicrous comparison on this chart

Vs

Number of insightful wisdoms gleaned from the chart

volthor t1_j3bw6mx wrote

market cap vs gdp? pointless chart

OverturnedAppleCart3 t1_j3ca1az wrote

Now do potatoes vs milk cans.

You might get more interesting results.

helenig t1_j3bd3hj wrote

It makes more sense to compare Apple to oranges

marcoiiim t1_j3cebba wrote

GDP is a per annum calculation comprised of backward looking data. Market Cap is primarily a present value calculation based on forward looking expectations, on a perpetual basis. Both completely different statistics with completely different purposes.

Mkanpur t1_j3cq8ms wrote

Now compare the violent crime rate in Pittsburgh to the number of whales in the Pacific, that will give you the real information

Ublungu t1_j3agj5m wrote

all years those countries produce an apple company

Chaitanya025 t1_j3ap6in wrote

If only that apple logo was in center...

EnderPBO t1_j3bhnev wrote

Why not just 2 trillion instead of 2000 billion

purple-lemons t1_j3bzxn0 wrote

Revenue and spending would be a more useful measure

ackillesBAC t1_j3cavfk wrote

Market cap and GDP both made up numbers to represent wealth that doesn't actually exist

Rad_Dad6969 t1_j3cqf8z wrote

We provide Apple with government subsidies equal or greater to the GDP of the bottom 10 countries on the list.

We pay apple more than some countries are worth just to keep their shareholders rich. We don't help our own companies compete with Apple, We just pay the giants to get bigger.

Creapermann t1_j3b488j wrote

What country is "AW" supposed to be?

alchemil t1_j3bhv15 wrote

I spy with my little eye.. my nation

Artorix92 t1_j3cbw8r wrote

Let's keep simple, is the same than France :)

jeriously t1_j3ci0v2 wrote

Is that only a projective predicted report, right?

[deleted] t1_j3esgfj wrote

Nice picture, but IMHO makes no sense...

ihateusednames t1_j3b2v5a wrote

Yeah I bet they're just innovating the absolute fuck out of those phones 👍

−1

blekksprut_ t1_j3bgm6w wrote

When I actually think about this, it is so depressing. these products are so overvalued and people are undervalued. :/

−1

Woodie626 t1_j3aclwt wrote

So you need $64,000,000+ to be worth more than a country.

−7

Desperate-Lemon5815 t1_j3am7kb wrote

No, these are two completely different metrics. GDP is not how much these countries are "worth," if that's anything, it's national wealth.

Kenilwort t1_j3a8v0n wrote

I think you should add the population of those countries combined. I'm curious. And nice data presentation, definitely fits the sub!

edit: I see you've added that

−13

rubenbmathisen OP t1_j3a6d3m wrote

Data: IMF, NASDAQ, World Bank

Tools: RStudio; ggplot2

−18