Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

guitarstitch t1_j41iqqy wrote

RE: Press, this doesn't surprise me. Anyone can call themselves a journalist for any reason without any standards for information accuracy or completeness. Before the internet, all we had were tabloids and trash TV which had a very real cost to produce. Now you can be a "Youtube Journalist", monetize your videos, and drive ad revenue.

Denaton_ t1_j42atrp wrote

The Youtubers i watch show sources and how to find the information your self, quotes and stuff, while news papers don't..

guitarstitch t1_j464a3t wrote

I'm not saying there aren't good independent journalists. However, it's quite a challenge to separate the signal from the noise, especially if you're prone to confirmation bias.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_j425hak wrote

I could see, and get behind, an industry or state organization that certifies journalists. Something like the bar for lawyers or board certification for doctors. A stamp that legit journalists can put on their material that indicates they have the requisite knowledge and ethics for serious journalism.

guitarstitch t1_j464mn9 wrote

That would draw the ire of constitutionalists, as such an organization would be in direct conflict with the 1st Amendment - freedom of the press.

Unfortunately, we can't teach common sense.

InsuranceToTheRescue t1_j46gk9o wrote

Fair. A state organization would have trouble getting legal footing, but an industry or professional organization, like the ADA or something, wouldn't. You still get the seal to use.