Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

eddy_talon t1_j42h6sl wrote

Ok, but for for the laymen here, could you please give us a legend of what the colors represent? Brighter/yellow means more rainforest, I'm assuming?

SteveHoltSonofEve t1_j42l2j2 wrote

Yes, a legend is needed. Much more of northern coastal Chile is 'forested' than I would have expected, if I'm interpreting this correctly.

Kawhi_Leonard_ t1_j42s50t wrote

The water needs a different color or you need a border, Chile and Bolivia just dissolve and you can't really tell where the actual border is.

voleibol7 t1_j45zkva wrote

The map is about tree density, no elevated earth masses, so if there are as many trees in those places as there are in the ocean, I think the map does its job

cyberentomology t1_j44w94b wrote

Borders are largely irrelevant here, this is not a political map.

Kawhi_Leonard_ t1_j45t1do wrote

That's not the point. There needs to be a delineation between where the coast ends and the water begins. It can be a border or the water can be a different color, doesn't matter.

symmy546 OP t1_j42s87j wrote

Kind of the point

−38

Kawhi_Leonard_ t1_j42u2sz wrote

I don't think that's helpful or even looks good. If the point is so people can see where there are and aren't forests, now you can't because the shoreline just melts into nothingness. It's really bad practice to use a color that will fade into your background.

symmy546 OP t1_j42u79r wrote

Bad practice...... Says who?

−39

Kawhi_Leonard_ t1_j42ujbs wrote

I just clearly told why I think it is bad practice, it makes it impossible to tell how forested the coastlines are.

mage_irl t1_j42vc0e wrote

Loogs like a cute frog with the amazon river as the mouth and that darker spot closer to venezuela as the eye!

IhateTodds t1_j446fcr wrote

I was reading about the geographical range of Jaguars last night. After seeing that, and now this, they like the jungle, and don’t really leave it.

too_long_didnt_read5 t1_j44zjjm wrote

Historical jaguar range went from south South America to the south of US, it’s insane.

Evolving_Dore t1_j455d20 wrote

Jaguars use many more habitats than jungle, including open environments like pampas and desert. They do better nowadays in jungle because they cam hide from humans more easily.

mexicanitch t1_j44ownu wrote

I miss south America. I loved it there. I wanna go back. Felt like home.

Luckywithtime t1_j43z43t wrote

Honestly this map and the rivers tributaries map are the best pieces of art I've seen in a long time.

toasters_are_great t1_j449him wrote

You can really see the artificial manner of the damage to the rainforest here.

aminbae t1_j450lfe wrote

i mean the us got rid of its forests

and still uses wood for housing

cyberentomology t1_j44w5uf wrote

Down there they’re destroying the Amazon to put in cattle pasture.

Here they’re destroying cattle pasture to put in Amazon.

frankIIe t1_j43w9m6 wrote

The south and east of Brazil would look better with more forest

too_long_didnt_read5 t1_j44z22h wrote

East is a arid region, nearly a desert and south is mostly prairies but there is some endangered pine forest too.

Brazil is the 5th biggest country, there’s plenty of biomes beside rainforests.

frankIIe t1_j47a9mk wrote

Ok for the aridity in the east, but there used to be a lot more forest in the near-south region and this is clearly visible on Google maps.

Luemery t1_j44ze3u wrote

It would, wouldn't it? That's because it had more forest! A lot more actually.

South/southeast Brazil is home to the Mata Atlântica, another absurdly biodiverse biome Brazil used to have. But, being the main point of the conquest added to the high mountains right after the coastline, along other things, most of the forest is gone today.

We lost 85% of the gorgeous forests that marked our south/southest and, unfortunately, are at risk of losing a lot of the north as well. We lost almost 20% in the last 50 years, and are near a tipping point where the Amazon might collapse into a huge savannah.

Even worse, the last 4 years of government were marked by a blatant disregard of the situation and record deforesting. Good news is that prick is out :)

My point being: people need to be held accountable for our forests, and that starts with people thinking we'd look better with more of them.

Immarhinocerous t1_j45kkn8 wrote

Bolsenaro is a stain on both humanity and other life on this planet. I hope Lulu is much better.

djryanash t1_j46nm14 wrote

That map is amazing. Did you use Mapbox?

symmy546 OP t1_j42bo00 wrote

The data comes from the following citation, "Geospatial Information Authority of Japan, Chiba University and collaborating organizations" GS

Map was plotted with Python (obvs) using matplotlib, numpy and geopandas.

Feel free to follow the PythonMaps project on twitter - https://twitter.com/PythonMap

−8