Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

40for60 t1_j4x2ycj wrote

this year, you're using one odd ball year 6 months, why?

cybicle t1_j4x90eh wrote

Sorry, I hastily pasted the wrong link. This one goes into some more depth:

https://www.epi.org/publication/charting-wage-stagnation/

Combine the above info, which shows that "housing , food, communication, transportation everything else" actually wasn't more less expensive with the following info (which is seven years old, but the trend hasn't changed), and you'll see that college tuition increases are far from offset by a lower cost of living:

https://archive.attn.com/stories/19/paying-college-1978-vs-paying-college-2014

Edit: a word

40for60 t1_j4xdzo8 wrote

it is a fact prices are less and we can look things like gasoline, although adjusted for inflation gas prices have stayed about the same cars are getting 50% more miles per gallon so fuel as a % of income is less. Almost all consumer goods are cheaper today then they were in the past (maybe) all, can you find something that is more expensive today? Also tuition has been rising at 6% per year on average since the 1960's, this isn't anything new, sorry you aren't that special.

cybicle t1_j4xjigs wrote

Spending power is the combination of consumer prices and consumer income; it reflects what people can afford instead of simply looking at how much they earn or how much things cost.

College is much less affordable now than it has been in the past.

40for60 t1_j4xl3za wrote

This is what you said "I think you're wrong.

Last time I checked, the cost of living has gone up quite a bit, compared to minimum wage."

This is factual inaccurate and has nothing to do with the cost of education.

"College is much less affordable now than it has been in the past."

this is also factual inaccurate and the % of people going to college proves this. In the US the number of kids who go to college has doubled since the 70's. You could say, the dumb fucks that go to a out of state school and get a degree in something that doesn't pay well and load themselves up with a ton of debt don't get their monies worth but school is certainly affordable if you do it wisely and the numbers prove it. Tuition is up but the cost of living is down and there are more opportunities then ever to get an education subsidized but I really think we need to go back to the "good old days" strip the schools bare, get rid of Pell grants and all lending and make people pay cash up front. Jam the "good old days" down the throats of everyone that thinks it was so awesome.